1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Erratic Performace

Discussion in 'Games' started by hiker0001, Oct 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hiker0001

hiker0001 Thread Starter

i've been playing baldur's gate and i'm getting erratic performance during gameplay. was on the phone with game tech support and they say there is something wrong with my system's resources. here are the symptoms:

erratic game speed - sometimes very fast but mostly too slow. i have a 32 meg 3D vid card, 550 MHz PIII, 128 Meg RAM, 40 Speed CD-ROM. according to game support there should be no slow down at all while running the game on my machine.

i run nothing in background, have a defragged disk, have the latest drivers, and have no probs with Direct X. i have noticed lots of hard drive access during gameplay. there also appears to be a large amount of HDD access in the Win 98 environment.

also, there were some sound files from the game that were located in some bad clusters. i used norton disk doctor to move the files to good clusters. moving those files to good clusters did not help.

Choppy Play from the CD-ROM and Skipping Sound - when the game accesses the CD-ROM to play a movie i mostly get choppy vid and the sound skips alot when the game first accesses the disk. but sometimes it is fast and there are no skips.

the game teases me when it runs fast. it is so much more enjoyable to play. but mostly it runs slow and it is becoming frustrating. my guess is that i'm having a HDD problem or sound card problem, any thoughts are appreciated.

andy

2. hiker0001

hiker0001 Thread Starter

forgot to include that my HDD is moderately old (6 gig) and my sound card is a 16-bit soundblaster AWE64 (which i have the most recent drivers for). also, sometimes my HDD makes a wierd click sound followed by some fast and furious accessing.

andy

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Click on Newsletter under Site Info on the left of the page here at TSG. Open April's newsletter and read Article III and take the steps under Periodic Hard drive maintenance.

------------------
    ~dreamboat~
    Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
    Brainbench

4. YSB

YSB

Run a Thorough Scandisk with the box labeled 'Aoutomatically fix errors' unchecked. If it finds any bad clusters (which it appears you have) then your hard drive is probably bad. The only advice I can give is to backup all your files and replace the hard drive. Sorry.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!