Erratic screensaver timing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wrinklysteve

Greetings. I start with apologies - I started this thread many weeks ago and was being helped but had hardware problems and commitments and I have to start again.
I have up to date XP2 in a clean system. The problem - unimportant but annoying, is that my screensaver, whichever I use, unpredictably resets to one minute no matter what delay time I set. When it does this the screensaver does not run. I admit to sloppy attention to detail - I can't remember when this started but it was probably more than a year ago. A quick fix would be nice but now I have a bit of time to experiment, with help. Thanks.

Is this a standalone system or are on a corporate network. If it is a standalone click start run and type regedit. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop In the right pan double click ScreenSaveTimeOut and set the value data to 600. Click OK and close regedit and restart the computer. Post back with the results.

wrinklysteve

Thanks Lance, done that. I have experimented with settings in SCR (Sherman's Lagoon) - corresponding changes are set correctlyin the registry and vice versa. I will post back in due time with observations.

wrinklysteve

Just found screensaver timeout set back to one minute, ScreenSaveTimeout in registry still set to 600. I'm going to change the screensaver to prove that it's not Sherman's Lagoon's fault.

Hermitt43

Jim
WrinklySteve,
That screensaver is not really compatable for OS's above Win95.
In fact, I tried to download it a few moments ago without success so it seems they have removed it from their server. ( http://www.slagoon.com/freeware/scrpc.html )

It would be wise to uninstall it from your PC.

Regard,
Jim

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Besides, almost all free screensavers out there come bundled up with hidden adware and spyware.

wrinklysteve

Thank you for your comments and advice, gentlemen. I am very cautious and scan everything before and after use and the Sherman screensaver is the only freebie I have used, on recommendation from others. I'm just trying it on a rebuilt XP PC to see what happens!

wrinklysteve

OK, Flurry's pretty enough but nothing to rave about, imho. Norton's good too until it slows a PC down to an unacceptable level. I've had to uninstall it from a number of PCs that had slowed unacceptably to the owners and gave them the choice whether to reinstall or get a cheaper or free one. Luckily I've never been hit by nasties in free stuff - I'll try what's recommended.
Thanks again.

wrinklysteve

Now there's a funny thing. I had Flurry set to ten minutes. It failed to cut in and I find it has set itself back to one minute. ScreensaverTimeout is still set to 600. Ideas, please?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online