1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Erratic speeds on internet; tried everything

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BritDevil, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BritDevil

BritDevil Thread Starter

Okay, here goes. Thank you for the help in advance by the way. That should be the very first thing I say. Moving on, I'll go to the issue I'm having

I am with Virgin Media, on their 60Mb service. I never go over their limits, according to them I download and upload very little. However the difficulty comes about when I start using a program called Xsplit to stream video games. After about 5-30 minutes of this, my 60Mb speed gets shot to between 15 and 25Mb, and the 3Mb upload gets shot to 0.4-0.5Mb.

I have been on with their tech support for weeks, with them constantly trying to fix it. They finally came to me today and after a few tests, said all the figures on their end showed it wasn't their network, but was instead on my end. They figured this out because the numbers from my modem showed it was something like 63000000 and 3000000, meaning my speeds should apparently be normal? (I don't know...). I turned off my wireless (turned the Superhub on to "router" mode), and the internet shot back up to 60Mb. I then after about an hour, requiring to use wifi on my tablet again, turned "router" mode off, so WiFi was available. Bam, my internet went back to 25Mb / 0.5Mb. I don't have a clue what is going on here, and I have been suffering for approximately 8 weeks. Having had enough, I have come on my knees to you guys and girls to see if I can get some kind of sanity-restoring assistance.

My specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate
    8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair vengeance RAM (or 1833, not sure)
    GTX 680
    i5 2500k processor, overclocked to 4.7GHz
    P8Z68 pro-v gen 3
    enough fans to consist of a wind farm
    main HDD : 128GB SSD
    slave HDD: 2TB (can't remember name)

I will be very happy to provide anything you require to aide in finding a solution for this problem

Thank you so much for your time!

small edit: I forgot to say, I use a wired connection on the pc in question, not wireless.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you only have the one device connected by wireless ?

make and model of the wireless router you are connecting up to the super hub ?

OR are you just talking about the super hub , which also has wireless ?

the user guide is here
    http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/dam/allyours/pdf/superhubuserguidemay12.pdf
    http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/superhub-guide.pdf

if you leave in router mode , but connect a PC with a cable to one of the LAN sockets on the super hub do you get the speed?

if you do then we can look at the wireless issues - if not then sounds like an issue with the HUB

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice