1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Erratic video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stencil, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stencil

Stencil Thread Starter

Hello, so I recently installed an AMD Radeon HD 6700 primarily so that I could connect my PC to my TV through an HDMI cable. This worked great until a couple of days ago when it stopped for no apparent reason. I can't completely rule out that the HDMI hasn't gone bad (it's run through the wall, and while I could remove it and replace it, I'd rather not, it was a serious pain in the tuckus to get it in there...), but I think it's something with the card. I tried re-booting after it stopped working and it started working again (the windows boot screen came up on my TV), but then suddenly stopped again (got the "No Signal" text on the TV). I've also had some intermittent issues with games. While running TF2 everything suddenly got all neon (like the game was being played in a disco or something, all the blocks on the walls and floors were different neon colors) and then the cursor turned into a square of noise, etc...I haven't tried updating the drivers yet, but it's next on my list. I figured I'd check in here as well...thanks in advance for any help!

Oh, and here's the rest of my sysinfo:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 20002 MB, Free - 664 MB; D: Total - 56258 MB, Free - 2758 MB; F: Total - 238409 MB, Free - 133579 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0HH807
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2011, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Im thinking the card is overheating- Dell computers typically have terrible cooling properties

3. adam3088

adam3088

First off, update/re-install drivers. If problem persists try downloading some monitoring software such as realtemp or suchlike and after running TF2 for a reasonable amount of time check your max GPU temp.

If neither of those come up with anything I'd put money on the video memory being bad.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice