1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Erroneous 'target disk full' message

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Harry32, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Harry32

Harry32 Thread Starter

Having sucessfully burned a couple files to a CD-R disc, I later attempted to burn a 3rd file to the same disc but am told "Disc is full. Please insert another disc into the drive." The disc is far from full; the 2 files on it only total about 160 MB. What's wrong? My OS is Windows 7.

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

The target disk may not have enough free space to save a backup to it. Please check the amount of space available and free up space or choose a different destination.

3. Harry32

Harry32 Thread Starter

The target disc is a 700 MB CD-R. It contains a folder with 255 jpg files totaling 78.9 MB, plus one Word file of 78.1 MB. However, upon checking disc properties, I'm told that used space is 158 MB and free space is zero. On a 700 MB disc with only 158 MB used, how can free space be zero?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you finalized the disk, you can't burn any more data to it.

5. Harry32

Harry32 Thread Starter

Interesting. I wasn't aware of a "finalizing" option. Where should I have noticed it? I assume "finalizing" is not reversable(?)

6. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    No, it's not reversable. As for where to find the setting, depends on which burning program you are using. If you are using the built-in Windows burning program, I don't know that it can be disabled.

Also note, that multi-session burning can sometimes make the disc unreadable in other drives. And before you just say "I will only be using it in this PC", consider what will happen if your current drive fails and you have to replace it.

In any case, consider using RW media.

7. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Good point.

8. Harry32

Harry32 Thread Starter

Thanks, Victoria. If using RW media eliminates the problem, that's an easy fix. I should have thought of that.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm not sure where you got this from Victoria, but she's wrong. Using an RW disk does not eliminate the problem. An RW disk can still be finalized which won't allow additional data to be burned.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Shouldn't that be "Thanks, Oddba11"?

There are advantages (and disadvantages) to using RW media, but I really think that DoubleHelix is correct that your problem is that the disk was "finalized" and that the same mistake can be made with RW.

11. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

I didn't say a word about RW Media...

12. Harry32

Harry32 Thread Starter

Quite so, Victoria. It was Oddba11 who suggested it -- sorry.
    I still need to understand how to avoid 'finalizing' a disc, be it CD-R or CD-RW. I've been using Nero KwikBurn, which works fine and is very fast. After burning, it simply advises that the burn was successful with no mention of finalizing. Perhaps I need to direct my question to Nero.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe Nero KwikBurn is too simple. Try just using XP's built-in capability.

14. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm not familiar with KwikBurn. I know the option is available in Nero BurningROM (the full fledged burn engine). It is likely available in KwikBurn as well.

I suggested RW media as he is only burning small amounts of data. Thus the discs could be reused. It was not meant as a solution to finalizing the discs.

15. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

It was a misunderstanding Oddball, I said great point referring to your comment "Also note, that multi-session burning can sometimes make the disc unreadable in other drives. And before you just say "I will only be using it in this PC", consider what will happen if your current drive fails and you have to replace it."

It happens :p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice