Erroneous 'target disk full' message

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Harry32

Having sucessfully burned a couple files to a CD-R disc, I later attempted to burn a 3rd file to the same disc but am told "Disc is full. Please insert another disc into the drive." The disc is far from full; the 2 files on it only total about 160 MB. What's wrong? My OS is Windows 7.

The target disk may not have enough free space to save a backup to it. Please check the amount of space available and free up space or choose a different destination.

Harry32

The target disc is a 700 MB CD-R. It contains a folder with 255 jpg files totaling 78.9 MB, plus one Word file of 78.1 MB. However, upon checking disc properties, I'm told that used space is 158 MB and free space is zero. On a 700 MB disc with only 158 MB used, how can free space be zero?

Harry32

Interesting. I wasn't aware of a "finalizing" option. Where should I have noticed it? I assume "finalizing" is not reversable(?)

First Name
Jim
No, it's not reversable. As for where to find the setting, depends on which burning program you are using. If you are using the built-in Windows burning program, I don't know that it can be disabled.

Also note, that multi-session burning can sometimes make the disc unreadable in other drives. And before you just say "I will only be using it in this PC", consider what will happen if your current drive fails and you have to replace it.

In any case, consider using RW media.

Harry32

Thanks, Victoria. If using RW media eliminates the problem, that's an easy fix. I should have thought of that.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Thanks, Victoria. If using RW media eliminates the problem, that's an easy fix. I should have thought of that.
I'm not sure where you got this from Victoria, but she's wrong. Using an RW disk does not eliminate the problem. An RW disk can still be finalized which won't allow additional data to be burned.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Shouldn't that be "Thanks, Oddba11"?

There are advantages (and disadvantages) to using RW media, but I really think that DoubleHelix is correct that your problem is that the disk was "finalized" and that the same mistake can be made with RW.

Harry32

Quite so, Victoria. It was Oddba11 who suggested it -- sorry.
I still need to understand how to avoid 'finalizing' a disc, be it CD-R or CD-RW. I've been using Nero KwikBurn, which works fine and is very fast. After burning, it simply advises that the burn was successful with no mention of finalizing. Perhaps I need to direct my question to Nero.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Maybe Nero KwikBurn is too simple. Try just using XP's built-in capability.

First Name
Jim
I'm not familiar with KwikBurn. I know the option is available in Nero BurningROM (the full fledged burn engine). It is likely available in KwikBurn as well.

I suggested RW media as he is only burning small amounts of data. Thus the discs could be reused. It was not meant as a solution to finalizing the discs.

It was a misunderstanding Oddball, I said great point referring to your comment "Also note, that multi-session burning can sometimes make the disc unreadable in other drives. And before you just say "I will only be using it in this PC", consider what will happen if your current drive fails and you have to replace it."

It happens :p

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.