Error 0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shazzatpm

Hey everyone. I have an IBM Thinkpad R32, and since about March 2008 I would on the odd occasion get a BsOD. Following that when the laptop tried to restart back into Windows, I would get a 'Error 0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0' message and I needed to leave the laptop off for a couple of minutes.

Three days ago the same thing happened again, however this time no matter how long I left the laptop off (with the exception of two times, however a BsOD would follow just after the Windows XP load up screen), the 'Error 0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0' message would once again appear. I was sure my hard drive was dead.

Fortunately, most of my files are either on my Home PC or iPod so I decided to format using the IBM Recovery Program.

Ever since the format, the laptop is working fine. I would have thought for sure, format or no format, I'd still get the message due to the hard drive being dead, or alternatively the IDE controller in the motherboard being faulty?

Are the messages going to reappear anytime soon? Is my hard drive still the cause? And if so, why is it working now?

Thanks.

When did the message appear?

I wouldn't trust that drive with anything important. But if you want to make certain, test it.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:

Manufacturer's Tests
Victoria for DOS
Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
HD Tune
CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:

TachTech
BleepingComputer

shazzatpm

It first started appearing in March 2008, like once every couple of weeks. Three days ago, until the format, it would appear constantly.

Try booting up with a bootable HD test and see what that tells you. Use a test from the drive's manufacturer, preferably. HDTune will do a rough check for bad clusters, but that does not seem to be the problem. So try a more thorough, bootable test.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online