error 0cx0000098 damaged or missing BOOTVID.dll

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Googleman314

Hello I hope someone somewhere can help me July 12 2016 I was doing my usual routine Netflix movie before bed when I go to shut down my computer I get 2 options update and shut down or update and restart I choose shutdown the next evening when I turn my computer on an hp Compaq cq58 notebook pc with windows 8.1 everything looks normal it goes to the Microsoft symbol screen with the swirling circle underneath but that when things stop being normal the next screen which is usually where I put my pin/password into is a blue screen with squiggly lines NOT GOOD! so owing to previous bad mishaps I try the f11 factory reset option which has never failed me in the past unfortunately on this occasion it takes me to the same blue screen with squiggly line REALLY NOT GOOD! this is when I try using a recovery usb drive I downloaded from Microsoft online which is when I get a few error messages mainly file BOOTVID.dll is missing or damaged and also kernel damaged or missing critical system failure this is when I try to call Microsoft who after 3 hours on hold tells me id have to do a green screen custom install of windows but for them to help me do that id need the windows product key which I don't have because the laptop came with windows preinstall and to call hp to find my product key of course hp since my warranty is expired wont help me find my embedded product key unless I pay like 60 bucks which I don't have so my hope is that someone somewhere can help me find my windows product key or even better fix my computer so I can binge on any and all advice is most appreciated thank you

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online