Error 0x8000FFFF On A WD My Book External HDD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AyaGotze

I'm having issues with Error 0x8000FFFF with my WD My Book External HDD (2TB). This issue just recently started this morning after a forced windows update rebooted my computer while I was asleep and when I tried to save something on my HDD I keep getting the error, not only can I not save new files, I can't even create a folder or anything.

-Windows 10 operation system.
-HDD was working perfectly fine hours before the forced windows update started.
-All other drives do not have this issue, just the one external HDD
-I got this thing about 5 years ago.
-I'm on the admin account for this cpu
-I already check to see if the folders are on read-only, and they are, but when I try to go into permissions and clicked off the read-only box, I only go right back to double check to see it stuck only to see that it is back on again.
-I've already tried the chkdsk commands and I keep getting a message that the drive is already in use so thats no help either.
-This particular HDD is mainly used as a back up so if I have to reformat it to get it to work again, not a big deal.

Anything else needed to pinpoint this issue?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi welcome to the site

1. Check time and date settings are correct in windows
2. HOW many actual drives as against partitions are in the computer
3. What USB connections are there besides the external drive

4. Post please the results of this which was at the top of the page where you clicked create new thread
We recommend that you download our free SysInfo utility. When you run it, it will show technical specifications of your computer. Please copy and paste that information and include it with your question below. Thank you

AyaGotze

1. Time and date settings are all synced up.
2. I have 3 drives
3. 6 USB ports all together, 4 are usually in use (mouse, keyboard, WD MyPassport 80 GB HDD, and the problematic WD MyBook 2TB, the other two are open for when I need to use the bluetooth usb plug or the plug for drawing tablet, phone cable, usb drivers, ect.)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20190919112819.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
Hard Drives: C: 899 GB (199 GB Free); F: 465 GB (78 GB Free); G: 2794 GB (2257 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO SKYBAY, ver SDK0J40700 WIN 3258025711330
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1050, s/n R301DTUE
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Open the USB drive in question the WD 2TB and see if there are folders in there with a series of numbers that you do not recognise
They MAY look similar to this

82721096efae173bf2c3c1

AyaGotze

Ah I don't see anything unusual, no new folders are anything, even checked the sub folders.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. Is the drive the same in another USB port on this computer

2. If you have another computer, is the drive the same in the other computer

3. On the chkdsk/r command - you will receive the response that the drive is in use.
If the response is do you wish to force a dismount type Y/N then type N
the response them, or the first response should be do you wish to check on restart Y/N
type Y

4. Run that chkdsk from a cmd prompt with admin rights
that is type in search bar on taskbar
cmd
when it appears as cmd prompt app - right click and then click run as admin
then when the cmd window opens
type
chkdsk d: /r

replacing the drive letter D with the letter allocated to the external drive - G I think.

5. If you watch the result you will see if it records any bad sectors. If you cannot watch it then we should be able to get the result later from event viewer.

6. It MAY NOT be the drive, it may as you say be some reason following the update, when you reply we will explore those possibilities if it shows not to be the drive.

AyaGotze

Well I got an update, the problem seemed to be fixed... apparently something that was keeping me from moving any file on the HDD was in my recycle, so when i cleared that out, I had full access to it, I'm able to add/delete, move files in and out of it with out any error... now i'm just wondering what exactly happen, so maybe if it starts up again I can resolve the issue quickly

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Pleased you sorted it
What was the item in the recycle bin - presuming you know what it was

AyaGotze

You know, I don't have the slightest idea, it had a lot of stuff in it to sort out, but I do have a new problem with the HDD, its just runs slower than it did before, I had a couple of games running off it and they don't really load up anymore and to open a folder it takes a minute to load, i'm currently in the process of moving what I can off of it

AyaGotze

Well, I disconnected the HDD and tried to reconnect to a different port, now its saying it has to format and will not access anything on it at all... is there anyway to get things off of it before I reformat it at this point?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts