1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error (0x80040707)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wy2k6, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wy2k6

wy2k6 Thread Starter

hi

i'm trying to install the drivers and software for my graphics card, each time i try to run the installation, i get an error "setup failed to run installation: (0x80040707). i searched on google and found out that it's a problem with the registry , but no keys seem to be missing.

i tried running a newer version of the software off the internet and then i get another error. also i can't install certain programs like spybot, i keep getting an error in the middle of the installation saying source file is corrupt (tried downloading the file from diffrent sites).

thank u

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. wy2k6

wy2k6 Thread Starter

About the first one, i didn't try the second link yet, all the keys are there but none of them are expandable, they type is REG_SZ, and the value is does not have the: %ALLUSERSPROFILES% it only has the path of each, like for destop is , C:/documents and settings/all users/desktop.

is that ok or not

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sorry I didn't fully understand. So one of the keys does not match? Show a screenshot if you can.

5. wy2k6

wy2k6 Thread Starter

Attached Files:

6. wy2k6

wy2k6 Thread Starter

i visited the second link, followed the instructions, installed the ikernel and still get the same error.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What video drivers are they? Have you had any other problems installing anything?

8. wy2k6

wy2k6 Thread Starter

Well, its the ATI Catalyst 6.6.

i downloaded the installation files from the internet and it worked fine. but the CD version still gives the same error.

However all .exe files i download from the internet on the main drive, when run give an error saying some files are corrupt, when i download the same exe file on the slave hard drive, it works fine.

i searched on the internet and found this thread: http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=32700

all i could understand from it, is that the problem with the exe files may be a blocker virus or something.

so what should i do???????????

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What motherboard do you have? Is it an NForce motherboard? Do you use any Download Accelerator?

You could also test the RAM, sometimes it can be bad RAM and issues only arise during certain operations. Memtes86+: http://www.memtest.org/

10. wy2k6

wy2k6 Thread Starter

Motherboard is: ECS P4M800Pro-M2 (V2.0), i don't think it's an Nforce motherboard, and no i don't use a download accelerator.

i used memtest, and nothing wrong with the RAM.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. wy2k6

wy2k6 Thread Starter

downloaded and installed the Chipset drivers normally, but the ethernet drivers says it's for windows xp x64 and x86 only, my operating system is 32 bit. so what do i do?? i can't find another link for a different ethernet drivers.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    X86 is the 32bit version.

14. wy2k6

wy2k6 Thread Starter

it comes up with an error: can not find any INF files.

15. wy2k6

wy2k6 Thread Starter

Also the machine keeps rebooting for no appearant reason, and it failed to boot a few times, and error report says it is caused by a device driver, and i only have 2 drivers installed the motherboard's and the graphics card driver.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!