Sonicstefan1991

Stefan
I have a Windows 10 Home 64-bit AiO desktop.
I was trying to install iTunes from the Microsoft Store. There was an error when installing it, so I clicked to see the details and it said about an error 0x80070422 and that I need to run Windows Update to automatic. So, to check, I went onto my Windows Update on the settings, I clicked on updates, but it kept on saying “retry”. I did try troubleshooting, but it said that it couldn’t find any problems.

So, I went onto “services.msc” and went onto “WindowsUpdate”, right-clicked on “properties”, I selected “automatic”, then clicked “apply”, then “OK”. Then I went and clicked “start” to start the service, but there was no “start”or “restart” after I did that, so I refreshed and then the “WindowsUpdate” has gone back to disabled.

What can I do?

Type in "sfc /scannow". let it run to see if it finds / repairs anything.

Then try "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

Couriant

James
Also, can you confirm what build version you have by typing winver in the search bar for Windows and press enter. You should see a box like this:

1606883911080.png

0x80070422
ERROR_SERVICE_DISABLED
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
so I refreshed and then the “WindowsUpdate” has gone back to disabled
To possibly see why please share event logs:

1. Right click on Windows button and click on "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
2. If prompted for password, enter administrator password and click "Yes" to continue

3. Copy all of the code below at once, right click into console to paste and press enter
PowerShell:
ni -ItemType Directory $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\EventLog\ | Out-Null
Get-EventLog -LogName System -EntryType Error | ? Source -ne DCOM |
select EventID, TimeGenerated, Source, Message | sort TimeGenerated -Descending |
fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\EventLog\system.log
Get-EventLog -LogName HardwareEvents -EntryType Error, Warning -Newest 200 -EA Ignore |
select EventID, TimeGenerated, Source, Message | sort TimeGenerated -Descending |
fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\EventLog\hardware.log
Get-EventLog -LogName system -Source user32 | select EventID, EntryType, TimeGenerated, Source, Message |
sort TimeGenerated -Descending | fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\EventLog\shutdown.log
Get-WinEvent -LogName Setup | select Id, TimeCreated, LevelDisplayName, Message |
fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\EventLog\setup.log
Get-EventLog -LogName Application -EntryType Error, Warning |
fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\EventLog\application.log
Compress-Archive -Force -Path $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs -DestinationPath $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs.zip
4. This will create folder named "PSLogs" and zip file named "PSLogs.zip" in your C:\ root drive
5. Attach "PSLogs" zip file to your new reply
6. Feel free to delete "PSLogs" folder and zip file when done

Sonicstefan1991

Stefan
Type in "sfc /scannow". let it run to see if it finds / repairs anything.

Then try "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"
What I got was this.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.630]
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.19041.572

Error: 2

An error occurred while attempting to start the servicing process for the image located at C:\.
For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Sonicstefan1991

Stefan
restart the computer and do the DISM one again.
Still the same message.

Error: 2

An error occurred while attempting to start the servicing process for the image located at C:\.
For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Sonicstefan1991

Stefan
0x80070422

To possibly see why please share event logs:

1. Right click on Windows button and click on "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
2. If prompted for password, enter administrator password and click "Yes" to continue

3. Copy all of the code below at once, right click into console to paste and press enter
PowerShell:
ni -ItemType Directory $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\EventLog\ | Out-Null
Get-EventLog -LogName System -EntryType Error | ? Source -ne DCOM |
fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\EventLog\system.log
Get-EventLog -LogName HardwareEvents -EntryType Error, Warning -Newest 200 -EA Ignore |
fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\EventLog\hardware.log
Get-EventLog -LogName system -Source user32 | select EventID, EntryType, TimeGenerated, Source, Message |
sort TimeGenerated -Descending | fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\EventLog\shutdown.log
Get-WinEvent -LogName Setup | select Id, TimeCreated, LevelDisplayName, Message |
fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\EventLog\setup.log
Get-EventLog -LogName Application -EntryType Error, Warning |
fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\EventLog\application.log
Compress-Archive -Force -Path $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs -DestinationPath $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs.zip
4. This will create folder named "PSLogs" and zip file named "PSLogs.zip" in your C:\ root drive
Is this any good?

Attachments

Some recent errors are related:

An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.
A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged,
or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.
the process MsMpEng.exe has initiated the restart of computer for the following reason:
Security issue
Only you can answer if you recall installing anything that is suspicious?

Follow these steps to verify files and share signature status:

1. Press Windows key
2. type sigverif
3. run "sigverif" as Administrator
4. If prompted for password, enter administrator password and click "Yes" to continue
5. click "start" button
6. wait until complete

Step 2:

1. Right click on Windows button and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
PowerShell:
ni -ItemType Directory $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature\ -EA Ignore | Out-Null
Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* |
Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate |
Format-Table -AutoSize > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature\Software64.txt
Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* |
Format-Table -AutoSize > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature\Software86.txt
Copy-Item -Path C:\Users\Public\Documents\SIGVERIF.TXT -Destination $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature
Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_SystemDriver | ForEach-Object {
Get-AuthenticodeSignature -FilePath $_.PathName } > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature\Drivers.log

Sonicstefan1991

Stefan
Some recent errors are related:

Only you can answer if you recall installing anything that is suspicious?

Follow these steps to verify files and share signature status:

1. Press Windows key
2. type sigverif
3. run "sigverif" as Administrator
4. If prompted for password, enter administrator password and click "Yes" to continue
5. click "start" button
6. wait until complete

Step 2:

1. Right click on Windows button and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
PowerShell:
Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* |
Format-Table -AutoSize > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature\Software64.txt
Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* |
Format-Table -AutoSize > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature\Software86.txt
Copy-Item -Path C:\Users\Public\Documents\SIGVERIF.TXT -Destination $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature
Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_SystemDriver | ForEach-Object {
Get-AuthenticodeSignature -FilePath $_.PathName } > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature\Drivers.log
Here is this that I have attached.

Attachments

I'm sorry to bother you but I'm not able to read contents of a zipped file for some reason, just in case I tested my own steps and it went fine, it could be you did something wrong.

Please delete pslogs zip and pslogs folder in C drive manually and re-run my code above and share new zip file.

Sonicstefan1991

Stefan
I'm sorry to bother you but I'm not able to read contents of a zipped file for some reason, just in case I tested my own steps and it went fine, it could be you did something wrong.

Please delete pslogs zip and pslogs folder in C drive manually and re-run my code above and share new zip file.
Okay, here you go.

Attachments

It may help to also share logs from DISM and SFC..

Can you please run following (same as before) and share new PSLogs zip file:

Right click on Windows button and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
Copy all of the code below at once, right click into console to paste and press enter

PowerShell:
ni -ItemType Directory $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\SfcDism\ -EA Ignore | Out-Null
cpi -Path $env:windir\Logs\CBS\*.log -Destination $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\SfcDism\
findstr /c:"[SR]" $env:windir\logs\CBS\cbs.log > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\SfcDism\sfcdetails.txt
cpi -Path $env:windir\Logs\DISM\*.log -Destination $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\SfcDism\
Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | ? DisplayName |
Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | sort Publisher |
fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature\Software64.txt
? DisplayName | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | sort Publisher |
fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature\Software86.txt

Sonicstefan1991

Stefan
It may help to also share logs from DISM and SFC..

Can you please run following (same as before) and share new PSLogs zip file:

Right click on Windows button and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
Copy all of the code below at once, right click into console to paste and press enter

PowerShell:
ni -ItemType Directory $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\SfcDism\ -EA Ignore | Out-Null
cpi -Path $env:windir\Logs\CBS\*.log -Destination $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\SfcDism\
findstr /c:"[SR]" $env:windir\logs\CBS\cbs.log > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\SfcDism\sfcdetails.txt
cpi -Path $env:windir\Logs\DISM\*.log -Destination $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\SfcDism\
Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | ? DisplayName |
Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | sort Publisher |
fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature\Software64.txt
? DisplayName | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | sort Publisher |
fl > $env:SystemDrive\PSLogs\Signature\Software86.txt
I hope that these are okay.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online