1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error 0xc0000001- Can't figure out how to use my windows USB

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by FroggyGames, Feb 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FroggyGames

FroggyGames Thread Starter

My Alienware came across this error months ago while I was just restarting it and it hasn't gotten last the error screen since. I have an Alienware 13 r2 which I've had to send in several times for one dumb reason or another. I've went to the windows site and I've followed instructions to get the installation media in my USB but what do I do now.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Switch the computer off, insert the Usb stick, power on.
    If it doesn't boot into the Windows 10 installer power off then power on and press F12, you should get a boot device menu, select the Usb stick and press Enter.
    In the Windows installer follow the instructions and when it gets to the screen asking where to install to delete all the partitions by highlighting each one and clicking on Delete then Click on Next and the install will continue.

The above assumes there are no files on the drive you need to keep.

3. FroggyGames

Okay that got me to the reinstall Windows screen.. I choose 64 bit and the screen said loading files, then it went to the Alienware loading screen, and Now the screen is just blank. Is the blank screen something I should worry about or is it just loading?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Did it get any further than that blank screen ?

If not check that the hard drive is set as first boot device in the Bios (F2 key I think to get into Bios, should show the key needed on the screen just after switching it on) then save Bios settings and restart. (this is different than the F12 method).

5. FroggyGames

No unfortunately it didn't, I left it on the screen overnight but no changes.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Did you check in the Bios as advised in my previous post ?

7. FroggyGames

Yes, I'm going into the BIOS to run it.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You changed the boot order in the Bios ? (this is NOT the same as using F12)

9. FroggyGames

I think i have to start over, BIOS only gives me a USB option when i switch to legacy mode and the now it's saying it wants MBR on my USB instead of GPT

10. FroggyGames

I just swapped the BOOT options to Legacy mode then remade the USB to the correct format for that mode. Now it's actually working and I'm moving through the installation screen, thank you so much.

Hermitt43 likes this.
  11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's great, well done. :)

Let me know if everything is ok now please

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice