1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error 1114, can't connect to internet.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jmrayb2, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmrayb2

jmrayb2 Thread Starter

Dec 2, 2009
    I quote a previous post because it is an identical issue with my Vista Ultimate:

Dependency service failed to start?
    A few days ago my computer inexplicably lost its ability to connect to the internet. I am running Windows Vista (Ultimate not business). It is a desktop and I have had it installed since Vista came out. When attempting to connect to any network I receive the error message: "The dependency service or group failed to start."

When I click "Diagnose and repair" on the network button I get the following message: "Network Diagnostics cannot run because the Diagnostics Policy Service is not running" at which point I open up the Service Control Manager to start the DPS service. However, the service refuses to start and I get yet another error message: "Error 1114: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed, or it will give me a code saying that access is denied if I attempt to manually start the Diagnostics Policy Service.

I have had the most recent updates for IExplorer for a while and have not run any Vista updates recently (last time was around 11 Nov and the problem began yesterday, 1 Dec). This problem was preceded by a blue screen error that would end quickly, followed by my computer restarting. The blue screen error stopped after a few hours of turning off my computer, but of course now I can not connect to the internet at all.

Any advice will be much appreciated. I really do not want to reinstall the operating system...
  2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Dec 9, 2000
    How about starting with a "System Restore" -- this will not cause any loss of personal data >>

Also you have the ability in Vista Ultimate to create full image backups through "Backup and Restore Center"; once this problem is resolved, one way or another, you should learn how to use that.

See also >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943996

and accompanying attachment; check both "trusted installer" and " DPS >System"

chkdsk should also be run on the drive >> http://www.windows-help-central.com/windows-vista-chkdsk.html

and you can try:

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/882241