1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error 1603: Error Installing .NET Framework 3.0 (Framework is part of another app)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by caliaa, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caliaa

caliaa Thread Starter

I have to install an application for a job and when I run it, .NET Framework 3.0 is installed first , but it fails giving a 1603 error.

I tried changing the Permissions from this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Security\ServiceModel 3.0.0.0 to allow Everyone.

I made sure no firewall or other registry program was running.

I also downloaded an application called Error Fixer, or MS-Fixer or something like that, which I read about on these fora, but that didn't work either. It only prompted me to buy if I wanted it to do something.

I also tried to open the exe file using 7-Zip, so I could manually install .NET Framework 3.5 (already installed) and the actual program I want. But that didn't work either. :rolleyes:

I don't know what else to do, since the problem is the version of Framework that comes with my application.

Any help? I have Vista Home Edition 32.

2. caliaa

caliaa Thread Starter

** bump **

3. horsecharles

horsecharles

EDIT: referring of course, to NFR v2, 3, 3.5, etc.)
    Vista comes with NFR3 already.

┬┐Which app is it?

Coupla solutions come to mind, besides your app not recognizing NFR present or not being a vista app.

1. Right-click its installer and select Run as Admin

2. Google for an app called Universal Extractor, install it. Then right-click your app's installer and select UniExtract to subdirectory. Browse to that folder and run the standalone setup for that app-- it may install without getting NFR involved(as opposed to the combo installer).

3. Something wrong w/ your NFR / maybe your app requires latest update of it OR portions of earlier NFR versions(which may not be present in your system):

Get Autopatcher Updater, let it run, then select Vista & Optional MS Components. Once it's downloaded everything & it's ready to install, ensure all NFR checkboxes are selected. It will install(& thus repair) all NFR versions & components

4. caliaa

caliaa Thread Starter

I tried Universal Extractor but it can't extract the InstallShield. I also install NFR 3.0 and 3.5, same result. I'll run the Autopatcher Updater thanks.

The problem with the app is that it's a proprietary software, I contacted CS but they won't help me because I didn't buy their program. I already told my client and I'm waiting to hear from them.

Thanks for the reply.

5. horsecharles

horsecharles

Good Luck.

1. Sometimes Windows Update does not install a component correctly OR that component is not reported to the whole system as installed.

I prefer to rely instead on the Autopatcher. Don't be shy about installing NFR1 or 2 from within it as well. I forget which of the versions are rollups of previous, and which are entirely different ones...you won't go wrong starting from lowest version to highest.

2. Hope your client trusts you with their key info to expedite things...and that maker fully supports AND understands Vista.

I'm SOL...getting instructions to revert to XP...:(

6. horsecharles

horsecharles

How about 7zip? Or anything else you may have-- izarc, power archiver, etc.....

7. horsecharles

horsecharles

Something that helps a lot on Vista:

Try to install to folder on root drive "rather than to Program Files"

that can work like magic.

8. caliaa

caliaa Thread Starter

Nah, that was the first thing I tried. As a matter of fact, I have a couple of products from this company and their installers suck, I used 7-Zip to extract the files and install them myself but this other product is by a different division within this company, so something's different. I didn't try izarc though, I'll download it and see how it goes.

Autopatcher didn't work but I'll also try to install all the NFRs. Thanks again.

9. caliaa

caliaa Thread Starter

The problem is that the actual program's installer isn't even started. The installation wants to install .Net F. and once it fails, the installation is stopped. I checked the temp folder but nothing is created there; I imagine it's a security feature that hides the files.

10. horsecharles

horsecharles

edit: even worse, automatically try to install nfr w/o even checking if already present....

hmmm...too bad you can't reveal software / co. feel free to pm it. Strictest confidence assured btw.

The only other thing i can think of(but it doesn't sound like the install is anywhere near that progress point)-- if the install module contacts home server...and that process and/or domain is blocked by firewall and/or blacklisted by security apps / ISP.....

Vista reworked completely the tcpip stack, and that has caused secure access / verify for older software that has not kept up.
    As well for apps with legacy compno-bios license protect.

All in all, like you say, inferior or just unupdated for Vista product-- doesn't see a component already part of Vista(therefore no need to even check for it on Vista).

I'm puzzled why Autopatcher failed for you(and someone else elsewhere). Never heard of it failing, now two fails back to back....

Net version check: http://www.walkernews.net/2008/05/16/how-to-check-net-framework-version-installed/

Running out of ideas....run installer in winxp compatibility mode?

11. horsecharles

horsecharles

Hmm.. no install log entries?

There's a product called InstallRite epsilonsquared.com that will reveal all changes / actions of an installer...

12. horsecharles

horsecharles

13. caliaa

caliaa Thread Starter

Thank, that's a lot of ideas, I'll try them all. I really can't share the software because of its nature, I wish I could.

14. horsecharles

horsecharles

Good luck..i gamble a lot if that makes any difference....:D

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/791631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice