1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error 1606 - can't install programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by smiledesigner, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smiledesigner

smiledesigner Thread Starter

When trying to install or uninstall programsI get: Error 1606 could not access network location %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\

Also I am not able to open the Administrative Tools icon in the Control Panel - it just clicks.

A while back after running an anti-spy program, the next time I turned the computer on the desk top
    was changed, icons missing, etc. and the %SystemDrive% file folder icon was added to the desktop.

I'm using XP, and ran the Microsoft "Fix it for me" for Error 1606, and a-squared free and malwarebytes anti-malware. Now when I tried to install Adobe Reader, I got either Error 1606 Could not locate network
    location %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User, or the one from above.

Thanks for any help,
    Smiledesigner

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. smiledesigner

Norton was never installed on this computer, I'm using Avira Antivirus Personal.

Windows XP was installed to a clean hard drive - no upgrades from 98

4. Megabite

Megabite

5. smiledesigner

I ran the tweak from Line 66, and the notice came up that the Administrative Tools
    was reset, but still getting the Error 1606
    Haven't given up yet
    Thanks for your help

6. jackuars

jackuars

When you try to install Adobe Creative Suite 4 products or Acrobat 8 or 9, you get the error, "1606: could not access network location\Startup".

Do one or more of the following:

(Read the note down completely before u make any changes)

Solution 1: Change the Microsoft Office install root location in the registry.

Important: The following steps require you to modify the Windows registry. Modifications to the Windows registry, if not done correctly, can cause serious problems to a Windows operating system. The information is provided as a courtesy. This information has been found to cause the error message and should correct the error. If you have reservations about modifying the registry please contact Microsoft Office technical support. Back up the registry before making modifications. More information on how to back up the registry can be found on the Microsoft support site at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756.

1. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box opens.
    2. In the Open field, type regedit, and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
    3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\[Version Number]\Common\InstallRoot and select the InstallRoot key. In the right pane, check for a value named Path.
    4. Right-click Path and choose Modify. Redirect the value to the local installation folder for Microsoft Office.

Note: If the Path value does not exist, create it (right-click in inside the right pane and select New>String Value (REG-SZ) and set it to the path where the Microsoft Office folder is located on your computer. The default paths for Microsoft Office 2000-2007 are:
      • Office 2000 - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office
      • Office XP (2002) - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10
      • Office 2003 - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11
      • Office 2007 - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
    5. Repeat steps 4-5 for every version number found under the Office key.
    6. Install Acrobat.
    Solution 2: Backup and delete Microsoft Office registry key.

Note: Only try this solution if Solution 2 fails.

1. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box opens.
    2. In the Open field, type regedit, and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
    3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office
    4. Right-Click on the Office key and select 'export. Provide a name and select a location to save the *.reg file to.
    5. Right-click on the Office key again and select delete.
    6. Install Acrobat
    7. After completing the Acrobat installation, browse to the location where the *.reg was saved. Double-click the *.reg file to import the deleted office registry key.

Solution 3: Create a new local User Account with administrative privileges and install Acrobat.

These instructions are designed for creating a local administrative user. You can use a domain account, but these instructions will not assist with setting up the account. For testing purposes log into a local account to prevent any network related issues.

1. Right-click on My Computer and choose Manage.
    2. Expand System Tools > Local Users and Groups and right-click on the Users folder.
    3. Select "New User..."
    4. Type in a username and full name.
      Note: You may be required to to enter a password depending on the computer's policies.
    5. Deselect Change Password At Next Logon.
    6. Select Password Never Expires, click Create, and click Close.
    7. Right-click the user account and choose properties.
    8. Select the Member Of tab and click Add.
    9. Verify the location is the local computer name and type Administrators in the "Enter The Object Names To Select..." dialog box.
    10. Click Ok, then click Ok again.
    11. Disable startup items and services and log into the new user account upon the reboot.
    12. Attempt to install Acrobat again.
    Solution 4: Change the target location of the My Documents folder to a folder on the local computer.

1. Click Start, right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Target tab.
    3. In the Target box, click Restore Default, and then click OK.

Note: By default, the location of the My Documents folder is C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\My Documents, where C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and [User Name] is the currently logged-on user.
    4. In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location.
    5. Install Acrobat.
    Solution 5: Remove Microsoft Office, install Acrobat, and reinstall Microsoft Office.

1. Close all open applications.
    2. Move any documents you want to keep from the Office folder to another folder.
    3. Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    4. Double-click Add Or Remove Programs.
    5. Select Change Or Remove Programs in the Add or Remove Programs dialog box.
    6. Select Microsoft Office, and click Remove.
    7. Click Yes in the Confirm File Deletion dialog box.
    8. Click OK in the Remove Programs From Your Computer dialog box.
    9. Restart your computer.
    10. Install Acrobat and then reinstall Microsoft Office.
    Solution 6: What to do when above solutions do not work, or if you get the 1606 error when installing the Adobe reader and/or 3rd party applications

When Solutions 1 to 5 still result in a 1606 error when attempting to install Acrobat, or you get the 1606 error when installing the Adobe reader or any 3rd party application do the following:
    1. Make a note of the exact error message, including the part following '..Could not access network location\
    2. Check if the following Microsoft Knowledge base articles apply to your error message:
    3. If you still get the 1606 error message when installing a supported Adobe product, thenplease contact Adobe Technical Support. More information on how to contact Adobe technical Support can be found at: http://www.adobe.com/go/support/.
    Solution 7: Verify connectivity with remote computer and install Acrobat.

1. Click Start > Run.
    2. Type \\[remote_hostname]\[path]\ and press Enter.
      • If the command produces generates a error, "Host not found.", then you are not able to connect to the host. Firewalls, networks changes, or loose Ethernet cables may be the cause of the issue.
      • If the command opens a folder, proceed to Solution 1.
    Note:[remote_hostname] is the name of the host computer. It is found after the first two backslashes and the before following backslash. For example: \\lotusexchange\flats\acrobat_9_installation. The remote host name is lotusexchange.
    Additional Information

This error message is generated in the installer is unable to resolve a path during the installation of Acrobat. The error is most typically generated when attempting to access the installation path of Microsoft Office during the installation of the PDFMaker components. Restoring this path or reinstalling Office typically resolves these issues.

7. jackuars

jackuars

Try foxit reader for a change..it has a brilliant interface,loads up faster and and is less in memory consumption

8. smiledesigner

Yes, I have been using foxit reader since all these problems started.

Another part of this problem which started about the same time, is when I bring up Word I get the
    message "this copy of Microsoft Office is not genuine." I've been using this copy for a couple of
    years without a problem.

This all started after the computer icons and desktop were changed after running a-squared free,
    quarentined the results, and turning the computer back on the next day.

A new icon folder %SystemDrive% was left on the desktop and in My Documents. When I double
    click several times on the folder icon it comes up showing C:\%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\
    All Users\Application Data\Office Genuine Advantage\Data Odataext Dat File 2 KB

I'm thinking there is a connection with this new %SystemDrive% folder on the desktop, the Office not
    genuine message and Error 1606 when installing and uninstalling programs.

9. jackuars

jackuars

May be microsoft came up with a patch update that might have found u were a victim of software counterfeiting and hence tagged ur office as not genuine...!! :eek:
    Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) Notifications (KB949810) is the mastermind of the gameplay:cool: Its designed in such a way that it cant be uninstalled from the system (n)

If u are sure that your office is genuine and wrongly tagged then go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and validate your copy again;)

Still if it doesnt work out and if you’re a legit Office user, and the OGA validation has returned false-positive result, [inappropriate advice removed by Mod. Contact Microsoft if there is a genuine "false positive" with the validation]

10. jackuars

jackuars

Do you have the log of A-squared free after the disinfection process...If yes then post ur log down here for analysis

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    jackuars, I've removed a bunch of your illegal advice and one entire post. We don't help with illegal software here or for bypassing restrictions or Microsoft's "genuine" checks. Please review the Rules carefully before posting again.

12. jackuars

jackuars

@TerryNet: ok i havnt read it..will check it now...was jst trying to help...thanks buddy for reminding

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Kinda a common mistake we all make. :) Seems like the OP is legit, and probably is, but since we can't be sure we have to be cautious. Thanks for understanding.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!