1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error 1606

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wcopel, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wcopel

wcopel Thread Starter

Please help I'm getting the error code 1606 when I try to add certain programs I went to goggle for help and the solutions was to fix Register. Is there a easier way I'm not sure about working with the registry. Does any of the Reg. Editor programs work? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Willie

2. fatbobthefirst

fatbobthefirst

Probably can't get away from doing it in the Registry.
    Here is what I found so you have it.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\INSTALLER\Products\. One of the folders is the registry for the installer of the application you are having a problem with. You can find it by doing a search for the application's name within the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\INSTALLER\Products\. Then simply delete the subfolder, reboot your system, and reinstall the app.

3. wcopel

wcopel Thread Starter

Thanks, Could you sort of walk me through the steps or tell me where to find step by step instructions. Thanks

4. fatbobthefirst

fatbobthefirst

You would click on start button and then the Run and type in regedit and hit enter.
    This would bring up the Registry. Find the keys that are stated the Classes_Root
    Then find the Installer, then the Products. Find the folder in here that you are having issues installing. Once you find that program in here that you are having issues installing delete that folder and then reboot the computer and then try installing it again.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Wait before doing the registry thing it is advisable to backup your registry to do so please use this program:

ERUNT

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Remember to always keep a backup of two things:
    Your registry, and your data. You will never be sorry.

6. fatbobthefirst

fatbobthefirst

Yes sorry forgot to mention that.
    Thanks ozrom1e

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!