1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error 1608: The dependency service or group failed to start?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lexris, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lexris

lexris Thread Starter

Hello everyone! I finally got a new laptop after almost a year of struggling with my old one. I've had experience with using homegroup in the past and was thinking maybe I could access some of my files on my old laptop through that so I don't have to go through the trouble of manually tansferring everything via flash drive and what not.
    I seem to be running into a problem though, my old laptop seems to be in its own homegroup I guess. Whenever I try to leave it, it says "windows cannot remove the computer from the homegroup". I researched the problem, and used the troubleshooter which said that the homegroup provider service wasn't started and it couldn't be fixed automatically. I tried restarting starting the service but got that error 1608 thing. To bypass this I've tried joining whichever group my old laptop is in, but it can't seem to be found even though the two are both on the same wifi/network. What can I do?
    Thanks in advance!
    If it matters, the new laptop is windows 8 and the one I'm having trouble with is windows 7.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I would just enable file and printer sharing on the Windows 7, share whatever folders are desired, and forget about Homegroups. (Easy for me to say; I've never used Homegroups except for a test or two.)

3. lexris

lexris Thread Starter

Thanks for replying! Sorry for sounding stupid, I'm computer illiterate, but how do I do that?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    On the old system:

Click on the network icon in the Notification Area (right side of Taskbar) - Open Network and Sharing Center - Change Advanced sharing settings - Home or Work - see attachment plus later on that same page select 'Turn off password protected sharing.' Then either copy files into the Public folder or else for each folder you want to share right click on the folder - Properties - Sharing tab - Share... - share with 'Everyone.'

On the new system:

(Hope this is correct; I'm not on Windows 8 now so can't check.)

In the File Explorer (Windows Explorer in previous Windows) click on Network in the Navigation Pane (should be near or at the bottom of the list) - double click on the Windows 7 machine's icon - you should now see folders that you can copy or from which you can copy contents.

Attached Files:

5. lexris

lexris Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help! I followed your instructions and I'm 99% sure I did it right since it was pretty simple but for whatever reason I'm still having problems :(.
    I followed your directions in the network and sharing center on the old computer, got to the page where I could change the settings but after I changed them they went right back to the were they were already set. At first I thought maybe I hit cancel instead of save changes, so I did it again, and it did the same thing. What's going on?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Possibly some security application is preventing the changes. But in view of the problems you have with Homegroups maybe the system is just really messed up. If it's the latter I do not know how to trouble shoot or fix it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice