1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error 1706

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by uk069, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. uk069

uk069 Thread Starter

I have Windows XP with Microsoft Professional office suite. I have been using Excel no problems. Next time I tried to open it after I had been in Visio I receive the Error 1706 message. Excel will not open. I do not have the install disk.

2. idowindows

idowindows

I've heard of this before - try creating a NEW shortcut to Excel and see how that goes...

3. uk069

uk069 Thread Starter

I tried to creat a new shortcut for excel and received the same error code any other suggestions.

4. Augie65

Augie65

If you go to:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office XX (Office XX is the number of your office)
    If you double click on Excel.exe, will Excel open?

5. uk069

uk069 Thread Starter

I have tried C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 10 and double clicked on Excel.exe and I get the same message as when I try the shortcuts. It reads: Windows Configuring Microsoft Office XP Professional then stalls and I get the following dialogue box." The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation packagae "PRO.MSI". I have tried search on PRO.MSI and my search function does not find anything.

6. Augie65

Augie65

It is possible that the file is damaged or corrupted or a damaged or corrupted registry file.
    If you don't have the CD, the only thing I know you might try is a system restore to a date
    before the problem started in case it might be some registry change.

7. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

When you get the error in Excel, is Visio still active ?

8. uk069

uk069 Thread Starter

I got the message after I opened and then quickly closed visio.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice