1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error #1834 Corrupt Image File on Compaq 5240 HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rhinestones, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhinestones

rhinestones Thread Starter

I am trying to help a friend who's computer icons got corrupted. He tried to do a System Restore from the Compaq Restore disk that came with the computer thinking it would restore his icons (Compaq 5240), Windows 98. Upon starting the CD restore, he received an error message that reads - "Error 1834 Image File does not contain the image specified." I tried using Norton Ghost, copied onto CD from my computer, but the A drive takes over and I can't use the CD Rom, though the computer is reading the CD Rom. Instructions from Symantec tell you to type in the CD Rom path (Drive Letter) then - "Program Files\Ghost\Ghostexp.exe - ignore index". I do this, but the computer is NOT reading the CD Rom, since the A drive takes over first. PLEASE help, thank you!
    Rhinestones

2. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

Just delete "c:\windows\iconcache.db" :D

3. rhinestones

Hi Aaron, and thank you very much for your reply. I am unable to open windows, so can you tell me how I can delete this file while in dos mode? For instance, should I type in C:\delete windows\iconcache.db? Thanks!
    Rhinestones

4. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

"DEL c:\windows\iconcache.db"

Unable to open Windows? Did the CD restore corrupt or delete it?

5. rhinestones

It's hard to tell for sure if it was the Restore CD that made me unable to boot windows. The Restore CD went just so far and then the error message popped up. It could be the CD. I will try your suggestion and let you know the outcome. Thanks again,
    Rhinestones

6. rhinestones

Hello again Aaron. I tried your suggestion to no avail. I keep getting "Invalid Path" or other error messages. It seems I cannot access the C drive. If you have any other suggestions, I sure would welcome them.
    Rhinestones

7. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

8. Nova_Wind

Nova_Wind

Will changing the boot order to load the cd drive first, make a difference?

9. rhinestones

I've downloaded the Emergency Disk and will try that. Nova Wind, as far as making the CD Rom boot first, I'm not sure how to do that. Thanks also Aaron for the number to Compaq. We'll keep forging ahead, I'm determined to straighten this out! Thanks!
    Rhinestones:eek:

10. Nova_Wind

Nova_Wind

Go into BIOS (Press F1 or F10 during the Compaq boot-up screen for setup) and change the boot order to load CD Rom first. Save and Quit.

Good Luck

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice