1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error 2011 popups

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Drinny, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drinny

Drinny Thread Starter

Hope someone can help me here.... On my Windows 98, I get an Error 2011 message in a Microsoft Internet Explore Dialogue Box... (running Version 6.0 2800.110615) which reads as follows:

"This paginates it requires Controls ActiveX to be in their entirety Press to Accept."

When I do as it asks, nothing happens. When this message pops up it frequently closes the browser page or closes an application and returns me to my desktop

Other problems include:
    I cannot activate my Mcafee VirusScan....just makes the above error mesage popup. This occurs even when I try to access it through Explorer. It won't even allow me to remove and reinstall the software!

I can no longer access my System Configuration Utility under System Tools/System Information/Tools

I cannot even run the scandisk utilities tool!

System resources hovers around the 60% mark, even though I have the bare essentials running in the background.

I suspect I have some sort of virus, but as I have no means of running a virus scan ....!!!!

Would be grateful if someone could help!

Thanks in anticipation.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Uninstall Mcafee and restart your computer. Then see the colored link at the bottom of my post to download and install free AntiVir (click the Download button on their website then scroll/click the red/black AntiVir icon). AntiVir will scan after the install, let it. just move your mouse every three minutes while it scans. Press the E key to Delete or click the appropriate button if AntiVir prompts you what to do with a found virus. Fight virus. When all done; restart your computer and see if you can now enter the System Configuration Utility (SCU) before doing the below. If you can now enter SCU the following is not necessary.

It sounds as though your operating system is corrupted beyond repair. Thanks to Mcafee being totally incompetent even if brand new. Try booting to a DOS Mode prompt then typing, scanreg /restore and choosing the earliest possible date you can in the list via the arrow keys below the Delete key and Enter key. Then restart your computer.

Does perfortming the procedure now let you access SCU?

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

after installing AntiVir and scanning, restart etc., it might be worth your while to run the Panda on-line virus scan, see the link below at the bottom of my post.

4. Drinny

Drinny Thread Starter

Thanks for the help...first of all I have to find a way of getting shot of the Mcafee...it wont let me do that on the Add/Remove Programs tool.....!!

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

Try it in safe mode.

6. Drinny

Drinny Thread Starter

Tried that griffinspc....still doesnt want to know...wont let me do it in explorer either...guess I may have to resort to a reformat..once I have found a way of backing up all of my stuff...alas I have no CD writer!

7. Drinny

Drinny Thread Starter

Another weird thing I forgot to mention...at random intervals the setup dialogue box for installing Outlook 2000 keeps popping up.......anyone any ideas why this should happen...?

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

Can you get on-line at all and do an on-line scan?

Does that version of McAfee have a DOS scanner so you can boot to C:\> and navigate to the McAfee folder and launch the scan in DOS?

9. griffinspc

griffinspc

10. Drinny

Drinny Thread Starter

no joy...as soon as i try to access an online scan site...e.g Panda...it closes the browser window!!!! No access through DOS either!...what would I type at the C:\> prompt would you suggest?

11. griffinspc

griffinspc

If you can download anything at all can you try downloading Mozilla from here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ Install it then try and do the on line scan using that browser instead of IE.

It's a long shot but just might work since it seems IE and outlook are directly effected by whatever you have, if you have anything that is. Mozilla's small and doesn't ride on IE.

As far as McAfee goes it would have to be connected to McAfee so I can't help you there I don't / won't own it. It would lead to the McAfee folder likely so something like:
    C:>\Progra~1\McAfee\scandos.exe

Obviously I made the "scandos" name up but maybe your packaging or documentation that came with McAfee might say if it was installed with a DOS scanner. Maybe someone here who has McAfee can help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice