1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error 403:Forbidden

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Stanhope, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stanhope

Stanhope Thread Starter

I'm trying to access a friends website (it's a wiki type of thing) and keep getting error 403 "Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I can try to go to any page and that comes up.
    The only thing is that when I access the site from work or on my Blackberry, it loads fine... I can also load it from home if I use a proxy.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? It seems like all my computers at home (on my network) can't access the site but everyone else can.

Sorry, I can't post the link for her privacy.

2. karbo

karbo Banned

3. Stanhope

Stanhope Thread Starter

I've already read this - no help., The site doesn't have authentication except the wiki login which is not needed to view the site, only to edit. I have tried on Chrome, FF, and IE on my home computers, none can open. At work or anywhere else, it opens fine in IE (havn't tried any other browsers)

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: I just connected my computer (home) to a different wireless network the page loaded fine. I don't know what's up, but it's my network. I have a linksys WRT54G, no changes to settings in the past few weeks.

4. karbo

karbo Banned

You could try changing your IP address to see if it helps:

1. Click on "Start" in the bottom left hand corner of screen
    2. Click on "Run"
    3. Type in "command" and hit ok

You should now be at an MSDOS prompt screen.

4. Type "ipconfig /release" just like that, and hit "enter"
    5. Type "exit" and leave the prompt
    6. Right-click on "Network Places" or "My Network Places" on your desktop.
    7. Click on "properties"

You should now be on a screen with something titled "Local Area Connection", or something close to that, and, if you have a network hooked up, all of your other networks.

8. Right click on "Local Area Connection" and click "properties"
    9. Double-click on the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list under the "General" tab
    10. Click on "Use the following IP address" under the "General" tab
    11. Create an IP address (It doesn't matter what it is. I just type 1 and 2 until i fill the area up).
    12. Press "Tab" and it should automatically fill in the "Subnet Mask" section with default numbers.
    13. Hit the "Ok" button here
    14. Hit the "Ok" button again

You should now be back to the "Local Area Connection" screen.[/B]
    15. Right-click back on "Local Area Connection" and go to properties again.
    16. Go back to the "TCP/IP" settings
    17. This time, select "Obtain an IP address automatically"
    18. Hit "Ok"
    19. Hit "Ok" again
    20. You now have a new IP address

5. karbo

karbo Banned

So your router is the culprit? Check configuration.

6. Stanhope

Stanhope Thread Starter

Well now I don't really know, I followed your guide but I don't think it worked because why router is DHCP so it auto-assigns ip's. I reset both my Modem and my Router and apparently clearing the Modem cleared the ISP settings and I'm out of internet (on a neighbors wifi...)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/797612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice