1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error 7026 "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: cdrom"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Old_Fart, Jun 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8103 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 271044 MB;
    Motherboard: ASRock, Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2014, Updated and Enabled
    -----------------
    Problem:
    My Windows 7 Professional "Explorer" tree (not Internet Explorer) no longer lists my CD/DVD ROM DRIVE under the Device Manager/Drives. It used to.

I've checked the System Registry and it has lots of info about that ATAPI drive, but my system fails to find the "cdrom" driver (which is the one Windows 7 uses by default). It's not a 3rd-party driver.

The tray on my CD/DVD drive opens and closes properly. Windows just won't recognize the drive, so I can't use it.

I'm hoping someone can offer a 'manual' solution to get it working again. I do not want to spend a month to reinstall my OS and tons of hard-to-configure software. I've read countless other posts and solutions, both here and on MS's sites. The info on MS's sites is not even understandable. It's too vague and often doesn't even apply to my situation.

Note: The error (7026) message is:
    "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    cdrom"

--------The following log file came from my Windows 7 Pro 'Event Viewer' -------
    Log Name: System
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Date: 6/10/2014 6:16:01 PM
    Event ID: 7026
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Larry-PC
    Description:
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    cdrom
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7026</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-06-11T01:16:01.753206100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>190760</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="1016" ThreadID="1020" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Larry-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">
    cdrom</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>
    ------------------------
    I really could use some expert help with this issue.

2. Sponsor

3. CleaverX

CleaverX

Hello,
    First things first, if you access the BIOS, is the DVD / CD-ROM drive listed in the list of available boot devices? Since the tray can be operated, it means that the unit powers on, now we need to find out if the BIOS can detect it.

Regards
    The Cleaver

4. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

It is not listed in the BIOS (although it used to be). heh heh.

5. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

Thank you for replying.

Now, I need to know what to do next since it is listed throughout the system registry, but is not showing up in the BIOS. From what I can tell, this is a software issue and not a hardware malfunction. I'm hoping I can have someone tell me if there's some option in Windows to place a check mark, or else some specific value to change in the system registry. What can I do next?

6. jenae

jenae

Hi, well lets make sure it's not a filter problem ,go to start, search and type:- cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator' at the prompt copy paste:-

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter)

Please post the notepad output here.

7. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

I hope this helps. It's too bad I can't change the code 'box' dimensions to eliminate the scroll bar.
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
        Class    REG_SZ    CDROM
        ClassDesc    REG_SZ    @%SystemRoot%\System32\StorProp.dll,-17001
        (Default)    REG_SZ    DVD/CD-ROM drives
        IconPath    REG_MULTI_SZ    %SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll,-30
        Installer32    REG_SZ    storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller
        EnumPropPages32    REG_SZ    storprop.dll,DvdPropPageProvider
        SilentInstall    REG_SZ    1
        NoInstallClass    REG_SZ    1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\Properties
    Thank you for replying. I had almost given up hoping that someone would reply. Please, let me know if there's anything else I can provide.

8. jenae

jenae

Hi,well thats as it should be, without the bios detecting the drive you will never get it working since no drivers will be loaded at boot. Check the cable's and have the bios reset to defaults, or detect hardware to see if it's just a glitch, could be the unit is failing, they are cheap to replace.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1127765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice