1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error adding POP Outlook account to Mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Kagome15, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kagome15

Kagome15 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    I am trying to save my email messages from Outlook to the Mail program on my Mac Lion (OS X El Capitain). The problem is it won't let me use the POP protocole, only IMAP works. And I really need to use POP because I want to download my messages onto my computer instead of just viewing them from the server.

Strangely, when I try to add an account, it does it automatically in IMAP without letting me choose. But if I don't write the right info, it doesn't connect and on the next window then it lets me choose. So then I add all the info.
    Incoming mail server: pop-mail.outlook.com
    Outgoing mail server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
    Password: I'm using the 2 step verification so I'm using an application password
    And I do have POP protocole activated in Outlook...

Still it won't let me add the account. Il gives the error message: Impossible to verify the name or password of the account. If I try a couple more times, it finally manages to create the new account however all the info is missing about the servers and the ports. So I add the missing info manually and yet it still doesn't work.

Thank you for your help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suppose that's a limitation of the Mac email program. Try Thunderbird. On both Windows systems and Linux distributions I've saved IMAP messages to my computers. Never used a Mac, but I suspect that Thunderbird works equally well on it.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Mac Mail needs to burn in my opinion. Worse reliable one out there.

Anyways, the information I found on the servers is different.

Account type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: pop3.live.com
    Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.live.com

Logon Information:
    User Name: your @outlook.com email address
    Password: your @outlook.com password. In this case it will be your secret application password that is different than your normal password

Make sure the account type is showing as POP. I had tremendous issues trying to force it to be a POP account (which I believe you hold down CTRL or Command before clicking next.)

Make sure you are using SSL and port 993 for incoming and 587 for outgoing.

Please forgive spelling and misworded errors. My phone likes to autocorrect a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice