1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error After Downloading Norton Internet Security Upgrade

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by PCvirgin, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

Recently, I upgraded my Norton Internet Security Program by getting the 2004 online. After my computer rebooted I got an error code which was the following. Mircrosoft Visual C Routine Library Routine Error Program C\Program Files\Common Files\Symatecshare\CCEVTGMGR.exe. I am wondering do what would be my next step. Do I need to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2003? What's my next step? Please help me out b/c right now I am shitting bricks.I have treid everything and I can't get it to work.

2. TOGG

TOGG

Have you tried the 'search' function on the Symantec site? I just searched ' mircrosoft visual c routine library' there and got over 8000 hits. Try to copy/paste the error message into the search engine and see if that produces anything useful.

Uninstalling and reinstalling is often the solution for many Symantec problems but I wouldn't do that until I tried the Knowledgebase first. The solution may be something like reinstalling the changed or damaged MS files and nothing to do with Symantec at all.

I do know that Symantec products are sensitive to earlier versions and, if you had had the 2004 version on CD, the CD would probably have incorporated a routine to uninstall the previous version. Do you have the instructions that came with the download of 2004 - what do they say about earlier versions?

Also, bear in mind that 2004 versions of Symantec products now include activation, although if that were your problem I would have expected the error message to have been specifically about that. How long ago did you do this upgrade?

3. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

After getting the errors, I attempted to run the removal tools. After removing 2003 AVI program, I attempted to download the problem and went much smoother so far and no problems. The download has been faster. I ordered Norton several hours ago. I am going to try to redown load. Hopefully, i have luck. So, you thing that I may have better luck with the cd?

4. TOGG

TOGG

I may not have understood your first post fully and I would not want to mislead you in any way. As I understand it, NIS is a collection or 'suite' of programs, that includes NAV, a firewall, Ghost, Disk Doctor etc. I only have NAV, so I have no first hand experience of the other programs.

Are you saying you had NIS 2003 and attempted to update or replace it by downloading the 2004 version entirely or did you only try to update NAV?. If it was the whole NIS program, was it only the install of the NAV component that went wrong or did it all fail to complete?.

As long as you retained the .exe file you got from Symantec and the reference numbers in the documentation which you presumably saved or printed, I believe you are allowed a number of download attempts for a fixed period of time.

If you have used the Symantec removal tools you may be OK although I remember reading somewhere that there isn't a tool for all the 2004 products so that you may have to follow the manual uninstall procedure that you can get from the Knowledgebase. If I can find it quickly I will post a link below.

If the CD option does not cost too much extra, it has the obvious advantage of allowing you further install attempts without a new d/l. Bear in mind that product activation could complicate this slightly but not until you have achieved at least one successful installation (I assume).

Found it! Read carefully but I think it covers your situation;http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...=2004 for Windows 2000/Me/98/XP&osv=&osv_lvl=

5. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

I attempt another install but I was blocked out of my internet. So I did an system restore and started from scratch with removal 2003 uutilites. After restoring my system, the 2004 was still lurking so I use the utility but no luck. So now I am trying another install through 2004. Hopefully this goes well

6. TOGG

TOGG

I don't think I am following the logic of what you are attempting to do or where you have got to in doing it.

Have you tried searching the Symantec Knowledgebase to see if you can find anything about your error message?

7. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

Here's an update. I finally managed to get the damn thing running. After donwloading all of the AVI removalbe tools, I was then able to download the 2004 Internet Security again w/out any problems. Wheww, this took alot out of me.

Thanks for your help and support. Your advice was helpful. (y)

8. TOGG

TOGG

Well, I'm not sure exactly how my contribution helped, but it's good that you seem to be OK now.

It might help someone else in future to know exactly what you did. When you say you used all the removal tools, do you mean Rnis, Rnav and SymClean or were there others?.

9. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

Rnis and Rnav did the trick and then I reinstalled the 2004 Internet Secrurity Program.

10. TOGG

TOGG

Thanks for the clarification. Don't forget the Product Activation (unless you've already done it!).

11. PCvirgin

PCvirgin Thread Starter

Yes. I have already done. Whew, this Norton thing was more than notion. It work but I got it working.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice