1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error At Start-up "scancomp.dll Missing" Please Help Me

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by REDSHAWN, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. REDSHAWN

REDSHAWN Thread Starter

HI, I AM RUNNING WINDOWS MILLENIUM EDITION AND WHEN I START MY COMPUTER I GET THE ERROR: SCANCOMP.DLL MISSING. THIS IS A REQUIRED .DLL FILE. HOW CAN I GET THIS FILE BACK INTO MY COMPUTER ? PLEASE ADVISE, MUCH APPRIECIATION !
    THANKS FOR ANY HELP !!!!!

2. BillC

BillC

Hey Redshawn... The first thing I would ask is do you use McAfee as your antivirus program? I believe this SCANCOMP.DLL is used in the scan engine.

3. REDSHAWN

REDSHAWN Thread Starter

YES I DO BUT I CAN'T ACCTIVATE IT OR REMOVE IT. ANY IDEA'S ?

4. BillC

BillC

5. REDSHAWN

REDSHAWN Thread Starter

THANK YOU !

6. BillC

BillC

I noticed my link will only take you to the support page. SoI copied what is there:

Error Starting Microsoft Outlook: 'scanemal.dll could not be installed or loaded' (CR11747)

Summary: This document explains how to resolve emalscan.dll, scanemal.dll, or hawkex.dll errors when launching Microsoft Outlook.

Product(s): VirusScan Classic, VirusScan Home Edition, VirusScan Professional
    Version(s): 6, 7

Description

Installing VirusScan 6 or 7 over an existing installation of VirusScan 4.5.1 (corporate mutli-platform version) may produce this message. To resolve the issue, follow the instructions below.

Solution

Click the Start button, point to Find (Search) and click Files or Folders. In the Named box, type extend.dat and ensure that the Look in box is set to the drive where Windows is installed and click Find Now. In the list of files, right-click extend.dat and click Rename on the shortcut menu. Rename the file to extend.dat.old and press ENTER.
    Restart Outlook.
    More details about Microsoft Outlook and issues of this type can be found on the following reference:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q178265

More Information

The extend.dat file is a binary cache of the Outlook extension settings. By renaming extend.dat, Outlook will check the location of all the Add-In
    extensions, cache this information, and rebuild the extend.dat file.

7. REDSHAWN

REDSHAWN Thread Starter

THANK YOU BILLC. I PUT YOU ON MY BUDDY LIST, I HOPE THAT IS OKAY WITH YOU. THANKS ALOT, REDSHAWN

8. BillC

BillC

You are welcome. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice