1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error code 0x80004005

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by naeemebrahimjee, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. naeemebrahimjee

naeemebrahimjee Thread Starter

I have a problem with windows validation and would really like some help.
    I built a computer about a month ago, and installed a copy of Windows XP Professional. It is a legitimate disc not a pirate copy. I have also installed many software programs including AVG antivirus, Office etc

When I turned my computer on today it boots up but when I try to log in I get a popup saying:
    *Windows Product Activation* This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now?
    I have the option of Yes or No. If I click No it goes back to the Log in Screen and I don’t get much further. If I click yes I get another pop up window saying:
    *Windows Product Activation* A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for the computer. Error Code: 0x80004005.
    This only lets me press okay and then I am back to square one. I can’t log into my account.
    (I know I should have activated before)
    A quick browse of the internet told me that maybe some of my registry files might be corrupt. After booting up the Recovery Console from the Windows XP Professional disc I renamed the following files:
    Wpa.dbl
    Pidgen.dll
    Licdll.dll
    Regwizc.dll
    Licwmi.dll
    Wpabaln.exe
    To:
    Wpa.old
    Pidgen.old
    Licdll.old
    Regwizc.old
    Licwmi.old
    Wpabaln.old
    I did this with the hope I could log into the CD, and do the following:
    • Expand licwmi.dl_ C:\WINDOWS\System32
    • Expand regwizc.dl_ C:\WINDOWS\System32
    • Expand licdll.dl_ C:\WINDOWS\System32
    • Expand wpabaln.ex_ C:\WINDOWS\System32
    • Expand wpa.db_ C:\WINDOWS\System32
    • Copy pidgen.dll C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Every time I try to run one of these commands I get an error message saying Access Denied. So this didn’t work for me.
    Basically I wanted to replace these files hoping that this would let me log onto windows and activate it!

I ended up having to backtrack and I have renamed all the .old files to their original file extensions.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can fix my problem? Maybe my attempt of finding a solution on the internet was a dead alley, I’m not sure, but I am at a loss now!

I really do not want to just “Reinstall” over my current copy as there are files I NEED to keep. Also booting in Safe mode has the same issue, it won’t let me log in until I activate.

2. valis

valis Moderator

At this point, I'd call MS and activate it over the phone.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If this is a legimate copy of Windows then you need to do a Repair install of Windows and it should allow you to activate properly. A Repair install will not cause you do lose any data or programs, just refresh the Windows installation.

Your alternative is to call Microsoft and see if they can provide you with a solution.

However we cannot provide too much assistance with Activation issues as we cannot verify the validity of the Windows installation.

4. naeemebrahimjee

I would love to; but it doesn't give me the option to do so.

As i need to input the codes they give me / give them codes to validate it......

so unfortunately that a no go :(

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you talking about the Repair install? Have you looked at this How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install? What goes wrong?

6. naeemebrahimjee

Sorry I was referring to activating over the phone.

I think it means I'm going to have to do a repair :(

7. valis

valis Moderator

why can't you activate over the phone? Doesn't take that long.......

8. valis

valis Moderator

what error are you getting when you attempt to activate over the phone?

9. naeemebrahimjee

Valis; my issue was that i didnt get the option to activate over the phone!! I only got the two pop up menus with the above details. There was no option to activate over the phone.

10. valis

valis Moderator

no, you need to call MS......you can google it to find the number if you are not in the US.....after that you will enter your serial number, and if MS likes it, it will give you an activation code. Fairly straightforward, I've had to do it a few times, generally doesn't take longer than 10 minutes or so.

11. naeemebrahimjee

Valis, I have had to call MS myself in the past, and i know the process.

Traditionally when i get the pop up window saying i need to activate, i should get the option to activate over the internet or over phone then get given an input box to enter the six 6digit codes they give me over phone.

The problem is it is not working in the traditional way this time.

Simply:
    I turn on PC
    I click my name to log in
    I get a message saying: *Windows Product Activation* This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now?
    I have the option of Yes or No. If I click No it goes back to the Log in Screen and I don’t get much further. If I press Yes i get the following message (Instead of going to the how do you want to activate screen)
    *Windows Product Activation* A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for the computer. Error Code: 0x80004005.
    This only lets me press okay and then I am back to square one. I can’t log into my account.

Now i have just called MS and they are totally useless. They told me that unless i get to their "activate over phone screen" the codes they give me are useless. So I'm really at a dead end......
    I can't get out the loop of the two error messages and the log into account screen

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Was the Windows you installed a Retail version that is currently installed on another machine or a new, not used before, Retail version?

If you have either of those Microsoft should be giving you far more help, IMHO.

If you have a version (say, an OEM or "Builder's" version) that is a license violation you are probably wasting your time on this.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A repair install is still where I'd be going with this.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!