Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Error code: 0xc0000185 -UEFI firmware

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DavisMcCarn 
#1 ·
Have you seem this before?

I've reset my computer back to manufacturer factory setting and now I am having issue with the UEFI Bio setting. When I purchased this system from Dell it did not come with a 'recovery tools media disk.

This is the error message I am getting when I turn it on.

Recovery

your PC needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0xc0000185

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have installation media ( like disc

or usb device) contact your system administrator or pc manufacturer.

Press enter to try again

Press F8 for startup settings

press esc for UEFI firmware settings

Unfortunately, I don't have the installation media is was never shipped with my purchased.

Regards,
Van

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you running Windows 8 or 10?
But; yes it did. In the Dell Backup and Recovery utility is/was an option to create recovery media which I have told large numbers of clients, "If you wait until you need it, its too late" None of the newer PC's include recovery media since about 2007ish.
If the PC is still under warranty, Dell will send you the recovery disks for free (or almost free). If its out of warranty, they still will; but, they will cost more.

#5 ·
The first time Windows 10 boots up, it gets a permanent license from a Microsoft server over the internet. Also, the bulk of the problems I see on PC's that "upgraded" are due to problems from the old software or an infection that was not fully cleaned up.
IF you have your files backed up and can reinstall the software you actually use, the surest real fix is to start from scratch and you can get the Windows 10 installation media using Microsoft's media creation tool.
(BTW, I always choose to create a DVD as it cannot be infected later and choose the option to use it on another PC)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#7 ·
The 0xC0000185 error code means Boot Configuration Data Error and, unless you did something radical in the BIOS like disabling secure boot, won't be what is causing the error. The bulk of the hits on a search for that code lead to sites that want you to purchase ReImage Repair which is, to my mind, junkware. The only true fixes all led to reinstalling Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.