1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error code 887800a

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by axi, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axi

axi Thread Starter

i upgraded my pc and ih facing problems with the audio.
    although i install the driver from the cd given i get no sound at all. Windows media player (WMP) plays the audio files but i hear nothing!
    When i try to play audio or video in winampl (v.5) i get the error message direct sound output 2.2.8 "Bad DirectSound Driver please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. error code: 8878000A."

my sound card is within the motherboard (chaintech 9pjl3).

actions taken..

1.installing the audio driver from the cd resulted to automating system rebooting! After installing the service pack i had no rebooting

2.installing the audio driver from the site had the same result

i use XP pro eng

i would aprieciate any kind of help and i want to apologize for my bad english

2. colmaca

colmaca

3. rude

rude

Have you tried going to the Device Manager to look for any yellow !'s or ?'s

4. axi

axi Thread Starter

no enerything is ok in the device manager...
    i also searched the bios. AC97 option was set to AUTO. I switced between DISABLE/AUTO just to see the options for AC97. I exited without saving (AC97 was to AUTO, not changed.)
    All of a sudden i can see the audio icons on the taskbar, i run win ampl i get no error message BUT i can still HEAR NOTHING!
    i have to say that i searched all the options of the sound device to see if there is any "mute" checked and everything were ok. My speakers are functioning well and i double checked that they are all set to the correct jack!
    I also unistalled win ampl, reboot (just the old win98times!) and set up winampl again.
    still the same! No error message and NO sound at all!
    Perhaps i m deaf !?
    i also tried to play mysic and video with the WMP byt the same result.
    So far i want to thank u for the help given to me.
    im going for the doctor!

5. rude

rude

Start from the most obvious,do you use powered or non-powered speakers?

Non-powered:
    Are the speakers plugged into proper jacks on the sound card on the back of the computer?
    Have you checked to see if the speaker wires are good or bad?
    Have you tested the speakers on another computer?

Non-powered:
    Have you checked the above?
    Have you checked the power supply to the speakers?

Have you checked Start/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices,under the "Volume"tab click "Advanced",check to see if anything is muted in there?
    While you are there,on the "Audio"tab/Sound Playback/Advanced,check to see that you have (on the dropdown menu) the correct speaker configuration selected for your system.
    Now on the "Performance "tab,make sure you have "Hardware acceleration"set to "Full",and "Sample rate conversion quality"set to "Best"

If all these settings are ok,we can move on to something else.

By the way,what kind of speakers do you have?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

7. axi

axi Thread Starter

As i said to a previous post i managed to see the the audio icon at the taskbar after "tickling" ,but not changed the AC97 audio option in bios. The icon suddently dissapeared the next time i rebooted!!! Ever since im getting the same error message!!!!

well i use 2 brands of speakers: Altec lansing 221 and "YS-200" no name brand. Both electrically powered and well funcioning with the other pc i use

I tripled checked all the stuff with the wires, properties. Moreover my brother checked my pc and found everything ok!

I have no sound at all. Even the beep when the pc boots

I have directX 9.0

The first think i did after installing XP pro was to set up the M/B drivers, then to receive all the updates from windows update office, then winampl, then the graphics card (asus geforce2 v7700ti) and then the service pack1.

Right now im thinking seriously of reinstalling XP from the begging....

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you post a link to the driver you installed?

Try opening Sounds and Audio Devices, Sounds tab in Control Panel and be sure your sound card is selected in the dropdown boxes (MS Wavetable should be in the 3rd box).

Open Windows Media Player, Tools, Options, Devices. Wait for the window to populate and then double-click "Speakers". Be sure "Default DirectSound Device" is in the dropdown box. Apply.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!