1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error communicating with server and secure sites

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by heels04, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heels04

heels04 Thread Starter

Ok, I am about to throw my computer out the window. At first I coud not connect to any secure sites so I figured it was the NIS 2004 firewall. I was receiving internal error messages from the program. I deleted this and the problem was still not fixed. Now I have downloaded mozilla and attempted to reinstall NIS 2004. The NIS now says "error communicating with server, please ensure you have an active internet connection." What does this mean? Mozilla will not open either, citing connection problems as well. I still cannot access any secure sites. Does anyone have any insight into this problem? I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Mastertech

Mastertech

If you have Windows XP upgrade to SP2 and use the Windows Firewall. Otherwise use ZoneAlarm. Both work better then Norton.

3. heels04

heels04 Thread Starter

I would install SP2 but when I try to go to windows update it cannot scan my computer for updates. There is always an error. I am having some kind of server communication problem.

4. Mastertech

Mastertech

Look in my Guide under Windows Updates.

5. rude

rude

Try this secure sites fix:
    start/ run type: regsvr32 softpub.dll

6. Karnivore

Karnivore

You, sir, are a genious - I tried everything last night on a friends computer (on the phone, so not in front of the PC) - and your post solved it immediately.

Thanks very much

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!