1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error during directory enumeration - chkdsk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Derecho80, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derecho80

Derecho80 Thread Starter

I am an experienced user and a software developer so I am very comfortable with the technology.

I have been searching through numerous forums to get some more options. Since I did not find anything, I need to post for help.

I had a game (Mass Effect) lock up on me. I waited a bit and tried the Windows Key and Ctrl-Alt-Del to get control back. No luck. I shutdown the machine using the hardware switch. On reboot, the system drive - the only drive - drive C: - was "not found".

I rebooted and entered the Windows XP Recovery Console. At the C: prompt, I did a 'dir". I got the dreaded "An error has occurred during directory enumeration.". Obviously, the directory tables got hosed. I ran "chkdsk /r /p". It ran for about two hours and then announced that there were "unrecoverable errors".

I booted up a copy on Linux (Ubuntu) from CD. From there I could get most of the files I needed copied off to a file share. There were two directories that showed zero files - one called "Backup" and one called "Photos" - the worst two to have that result. I would really like to be able to repair the "directory table" to be able to get the last month of photos that I did not backup yet.

What are my options for trying to get the directory structure "re-built"? Is there something from Linux that I can use to help? I am willing to purchase a 3rd party tool, too, if that will help. It is an NTFS drive.

Any assistance you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

ouch Grrrrrrrrr
    I had a similar mishap also
    I ran all the data recovery file programs I could find on the net about 10 in total
    spent days doing it. I lost 250 gigs of data and 6000 family pictures
    the programs recoverd most all of my data except my (NIKON) digital pics GRRRRRRRR it got all the other makes and models of camera pics not Nikon though Grrrrrrrrrrr
    I had to do the p 2 p thing to get some of the recovery apps so it's up to you how far you want to go
    I always run 2 HD's in my boxes and I put my important stuff on both and on cd-dvd from then on
    best of luck to you and I know there are recovery apps that are designed for pics primarily too

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/735152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice