Error in config.system file, need help please

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dawgoner

When I boot my computer, W98 SE, it tells me that there's an error in config. system file, line 3. I have no clue what that means, or how to fix it. Can anyone help me shed some light to this please? I am afraid to mess with it on my own.

I had to uninstall VAG yesterday, because after upgrading to VAG 7, the computer started messing up on me. Loading in safe mode, or not loading at all. As soon as I removed AVG, everything went back to normal, except for this warning about the config. system file's error.

Now I am running avast antivirus, but the problem was there before I downloaded this new program, so I don't think this is what caused it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

dawgoner

DEVICE=C:\essolo.sys

DEVICE=C:\CDROM\IDE.SYS /D:IDECD000 /UDMA /Q

Here's the list, and thank you for the prompt answer. By the way, the error is on line 3, but I don't see line 3..

Generally you don't need any CD ROM drivers in the config.sys file. Try simply putting a REM before that line, reboot, and make sure you can still access your CD ROM from Windows.

dawgoner

I am practically computer illiterate. Can you please tell me exactly how to do that?

The config.sys file is a plain text file so any program that can edit these will work.

For example, you could use notepad.

Start / Run / notepad c:\config.sys

The add a REM to the beginning of the problem line
Save the file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online