1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error in Downloading 823559: Security Update for Microsoft Windows

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by joyoflife, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joyoflife

joyoflife Thread Starter

I have Windows ME and I am trying to dowload 823559: Security Update for Microsoft Windows but every time I try it can't do it. I am also getting an error that reads:
    Windows 2000-KB23980-X86-ENU[1].EX> file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:NtShutdownSystem.

I go to:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    and scan for updates. It then tells me that I have 1 Critical Update/Service Pack. The info is: 823559: Security Update for Microsoft Windows
    Download size: 305 KB, < 1 minute
    An identified security issue in Microsoft Windows could allow an attacker to compromise a Microsoft Windows-based system and then take a variety of actions. For example, an attacker could execute code on the system. By installing this update, you can help protect your computer. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Read more...
    I click on install now and accept the license and then it says: No Updates Were Installed
    The following items failed to install. To try installing them again, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again.
    823559: Security Update for Microsoft Windows

I have already run the symantic fix http://securityresponse.symantec.co...er/FixBlast.exe and it told me that I do not have the worm virus.
    I have also dowloaded and run 'Adware 6.0' and 'Spybot Search and destroy'. I have run these programs and quarenteed/deleted the red files....I didn't have any green ones.
    I used Hijack and had help removing unwanted files.

What Next??:confused:

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Have you tried to install 823559 manually? I'll see if I can find a link for you.

3. joyoflife

joyoflife Thread Starter

I dont know how to install it manually. Can you give me the directions on how to do that?

4. joyoflife

joyoflife Thread Starter

Kman recomended:

Open Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Internet Options -> clear cookies, clear files, clear history. Then click ok.

Now restart PC and see if it helped.

I did the aboved mentioned directions and got the same error: No Updates Were Installed
    The following items failed to install. To try installing them again, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again.

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Could you please verify that number?

The reason why I ask is because Microsoft says that number is for a Microsoft Server 2003 update.

6. joyoflife

joyoflife Thread Starter

I went to: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    and ran Pick updates to install and then reviewd and installed..this is what it told me I needed (but, I cant seem to download it):

Download size: 305 KB, < 1 minute
    An identified security issue in Microsoft Windows could allow an attacker to compromise a Microsoft Windows-based system and then take a variety of actions. For example, an attacker could execute code on the system. By installing this update, you can help protect your computer. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Read more...

7. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

8. joyoflife

joyoflife Thread Starter

I went to this part of the page: Windows Millennium, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 98
    Download Information
    To resolve this problem, install the 823559 package from the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
    Download the 823559 package now.

AND it took me to the update url and I go through the same steps as before and it will not let me download I get the following error: No Updates Were Installed

9. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Wow, Microsoft really wants you to chase your tail :D

Let's do this, instead focusing on the 823559 update, lets try to fix why it won't let you update. Let me go there and see what they say about that ;)

10. joyoflife

joyoflife Thread Starter

That would be GREAT! Thanks :eek:)

11. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Lets try several things;

First lets check to see if you have a file onboard:

Check to see if you have the C:\Windows\System32\CATROOT2 folder, where C:\Windows is the path of your Windows installation.

If you have it post. If you don't have it post and tell us that too.

In the mean time go HERE and download the update. Do NOT install it just yet, just download it ;)

12. joyoflife

joyoflife Thread Starter

I did the search:

I do not have C:\Windows\System32\CATROOT2

And I saved 823559USA8.EXE to my desktop but, didn't try to install it.

(I can't install it anyway because of the errors I get).

13. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Windows claims that this only happens with WinXP. That folder is corrupt and needs to be deleted, but yours is probably called something else. I just checked my computer (I have WinME too) and there was just a drivers folder there. I will have to trace down what the bad folder name is for WinME. You can click on the download, if it doesn't install then you haven't lost anything. In the mean time I will contact them and find out where that file is kept on WinME. If you click on the download and it works, please let us know.

14. joyoflife

joyoflife Thread Starter

Great...thank you so much for your help. I tried to download and install it but, I get this error:

Windows Q823559Update: This update isnot designed for your version of windows...press ok to exit.

15. joyoflife

joyoflife Thread Starter

I found this on the microsoft news group:

Have you checked in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel to see if it's installed ? If it shows there then check the file attributes of the patch with the files on your system :

26-Jun-2003 02:19 2003.1100.5426 311,864 Html32.cnv
    26-Jun-2003 02:19 2003.1100.5426 116,288 Msconv97.dll

They are located in the Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
    Shared\TEXTCONV folder. If the files match then the patch was installed and the Windows Update site is not recognizing it as being installed. You can then edit the Registry to show it as being installed.

SO, I did a search on my computer (I dont know how to copy and past the file details like it was done above: 26-Jun-2003 02:19 2003.1100.5426 311,864 Html32.cnv) and I did find Html32.cnv in:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TEXTCONV
    C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
    C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL

I found Msconv97.dll in the following files:
    C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL
    C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TEXTCONV

How do I check the file attributes of the patch with the files on my system?

If the files match and the patch was installed but the Windows Update site is not recognizing it as being installed...If this is the case then how do I then edit the Registry to show it as being installed?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!