Error in Excel 2007 but not in Excel 2003

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

N2LifeSC

Why does the second line of the code shown below produce an error in Excel 2007 and not in Excel 2003? The error is:
Run Time Error ‘1004’, Unable to set the Text Property of the Characters class

ActiveSheet.Shapes("btnJobSummary").Select
Selection.Characters.Text = "Prepare Job Summary" & Chr(10) & "for " & CurrentJob

CurrentJob is defined as: Public CurrentJob As String

In this case it equals: RockMont Rev 7-9-04

No problem at all in Excel 2003 and earlier. If CurrentJob is something shorter (e.g. MyFile), there is no error. I don't think the spaces are a problem either because I still got the error after adding Chr(34) before and after CurrentJob in my code. Any ideas? Thank you.

Hello, welcome to the board!

The text is too long. Use an ActiveX control instead of a Forms control. Then you can use similar code...

Code:
Public Const strCurrentJob As String = "RockMont Rev 7-9-04"
Dim btn As CommandButton

Sub FooTest()
    Set btn = Sheet1.CommandButton1
    btn.Caption = "Prepare Job Summary" & Chr(10) & "for " & strCurrentJob
End Sub
HTH

N2LifeSC

Thank you for the response. Do you know why the length of the text is prohibitive? Did the length of text you can display on a button (a form control) change between Excel 2003 and Excel 2007? The variable CurrentJob can take on several different values, depending on which file of data is being processed.

I don't know. I've never seen anything officially published about this. But, as Forms controls are trying to be phased out, it would make sense that functionality would eventually be hindered. You should go for ActiveX controls anyway.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online