1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error in line 1 of registry, corrupted HIMEM.sys

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hottesttotty, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hottesttotty

hottesttotty Thread Starter

I noticed on dh's computer, when it's starting up, it says that the HIMEM.sys file is corrupted, and there is an error in line 1 of the registry. What do these two things mean, and what can I, or should I, do to fix it??

TIA

TT :)

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi hottesttotty,
    Hime.sys is the extended memory manager for windows. Try this and see if it helps:
    support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q296/6/36.asp

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

if Himem.sys were corrupted, you would not be able to start Windows. Is this the case?
    If so, download a bootdisk, run the exe and make a boot floppy.
    www.bootdisk.com

Start the computer with the floppy in the drive. At the A prompt
    type
    copy Himem.sys C:\windows
    press enter

I think you have misread the error message. Does it say error in config.sys line 1? It wouldn't mention the registry at boot. Not like that.

You can edit the offending line out when you are in Windows or choose not to load config.sys and autoexec.bat. Unless you are loading special solftwqare using them, they are not necessary to run Windows.
    Post back with more information, pleaase so we can help you.

'

4. hottesttotty

Mosaic1, yup, you're right, I was just going from memory, it was this morning I noticed it. There are no obvious problems with the computer, actually, I just noticed that it said that in there during start up and thought it was kind of weird.

As for the information on re-installing the file from cd(from the knowledge base article).....well, that's where we run into a problem!! We bought this computer from a friend, and he had everything BUT the OS (Win98) included in the cds!! I do, however, HAVE a Win98 from my other computer...will that work? (I know some things are weird like that, and need to come from the original cd that is installed.??) If not, what are my other options?

Then I will just need to figure out what this config-sys line 1 thing is! How do I get in there, and once there, what the heck am I looking for?? I don't know about the need for either the autoexec.bat or the config.sys.....what kind of programs need them and what are they?? I would think I'd be better off to fix it, if it's not too terribly difficult, since I don't know what needs it and what doesn't.

Thanks....

TT:)

5. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi hottesttotty,
    If Im notmistaken you can retrieve that file off your drive. If the OS was installed by the factory. The article tells you the right directory , I think!

6. hottesttotty

That's the problem....I don't know, but I'm about 99% sure that the OS was NOT installed at the factory. I'm pretty sure the kid we got it from installed it himself, cuz I think dh said he "built" it himself. Anyone know what the signifigance of a factory install is, and why it won't work if it's user installed?

So, will a copy of the file from another WIN98 cd not work then? Is it really even worth messing with if the computer works fine?

TT:)

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You can follow my directions and the bootdisk you download will contain a copy of Himem.sys

Here's what is going on with you. The Kid who built your computer installed an illegal copy of Windows. He probably used an install CD which he had and just installed Windows on your computer. This means it is illegal. You are allowed One install per CD.

Are you running Win98 First or Second Edition? Files need to be the correct version to be used. (Although, some files are the same across different versions)

You need to get yourself a legal copy of Windows. At some point you are going to need the CD to either extract a file or to reinstall.

Somethimes at install, the cabs are copied to the hard drive for easy access and/or because the system comes with a restore disk which is not browseable.
    To have a look at config.sys go to
    Start>run and type msconfig
    Choose the config.sys tab and look at line one.
    Paste the contents here.
    Or remove the checkmark in front of that line and apply. Reboot and see if everything works. Config.sys is no needed to run Win98 unless you are loading something special from it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice