1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error in startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kellyr, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kellyr

kellyr Thread Starter

Help, I am trying to finish installing programs on my brothers pc, it has windows 98 SE, but everytime I reboot, just when it gets to desktop this error pops up "a fatal exception od has occured at 0028:c00010cd in vxd vmm(01)000000ce. the current application will be terminated

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are you able to continue after getting that error? Did it begin after a particular install?

Some google hits suggest it might be an error with the modem hardware. Possibly there is an IRQ conflict.

If you can at least start in Safe Mode, you can remove whatever was recently installed through Add/Remove programs and see if the error goes away.

You can also try restoring a previous registry, but ALL subsequently installed programs would have to be reinstalled. To restore a prior registry, press and hold the ctrl key starting up to access the boot menu. Choose the command prompt option and at the c:> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

you can select a prior started registry from one of the first four displayed.

You also have the option of trying "clean boot" troubleshooting to resolve the problem. See these two links:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q188867
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192926

3. kellyr

kellyr Thread Starter

no, I cannot continue, it just reboots automatically. I even went as far to reformat, then reinstall, same thing again. I ran fdisk on it, reformatted, then reinstalled windows, getting errors in setup, but when restart pc, it finally finishes setup. I wanted xp on this pc but was told the motherboard may not support it, it is an ASROCK M266. As far as starting in safe mode, I have done that but haven't installed anything yet, this is happening when just windows is installed, and trying to reboot after installing windows.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you can start in Safe Mode, there is a hardware related problem causing a conflict. Try removing all unneeded hardware >> sound card, modem, network card etc. Install Windows with just the basics and then add the hardware later.

Alternately you can, in Safe Mode, go to the Device manager and try disabling the hardware through the properties pages to see if you can isolate it that way.

You might first want to try testing whether it is Video driver related. In Safe Mode, run msconfig and select the Advanced tab. Put a check in VGA 640 mode which will load Safe Mode VGA drivers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice