1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error installing baldurs gate 2 throne of bhaal

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dimu, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dimu

Dimu Thread Starter

Hi
    I've been playing baldurs gate 2 for a while and recently bought throne of bhaal from amazon. So I reinstalled baldurs gate 2 SoA which worked fine. When trying to install ToB, however, it fails at 19% with the error message:
    component: required data
    file group: Minimum_25_data
    File : D:\data2.cab
    Error: Data.error (cyclic redundancy check)
    At 19% the game is installing C:\ProgramFiles\BGII-SoA\data\25AmbSnd.bif
    I looked up some forums and someone said that high speed CD ROM drives can cause CRC errors due to cache problems. He changed his 52x drive to a 24x drive and it worked for him so I tried reducing my paging size from 1536-3072 to 0 which didn't make a difference. same problem. then i played around with smaller numbers but it still didn't work. my drivers are updated. i can't think of a solution unless the throne of bhaal cd itself is not working or I need to find a slower cd drive. Any ideas?

my detail are:
    system: windows xp, home, 2002,service pack 3
    dell dimension 8400, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz,
    2.99GHz, 1.00GB RAM.
    HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B

Thanks. Dimuthu.

2. Dude044

Dude044

Hi Dimu .CRC errors are normally caused because data can't be read .Using a slower cd/dvd does actually work sometimes .Personaly i would check all my leads to the drive are fully connected first ,and then check the cd/dvd its self was not faulty .You can dload a freeware disc checker here .http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/cd-recovery.html. If your are still having problems you might want to try getting this thread moved to the games section .

3. Dimu

Dimu Thread Starter

thanks very much dude044. i checked the disk using the disk checker and it is faulty so i will ask for a working copy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice