1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Installing IE6.0 on Windows ME system.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Double07, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Double07

Double07 Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I've just installed IE6.0 on my home computer running windows ME - the installation went alright.

I've also installed the same copy of IE6.0 on my laptop.
    This did not go smoothly.

After installing the files, IE6.0 asks you to restart windows.

Upon restarting, windows says it is updating my settings....

then comes the error message on the dos screen (before windows boots up):

"Could not update from %1 to %2
    %1 %2"

this line repeats itself for about 10 times over 3 minutes, and finally windows continues to load...

whilst loading windows and getting the "updating the windows settings" box you soon get an error message saying:

"An error or exception occoured while calling the function Dllinstall in c:\windows\system\inetcpl.cpl"

You press OK, windows loads normally, and everything seems alright, you can view webpages etc etc... but you keep getting error messages on some webpages and you keep getting error messages when you open Control Panel or view any folder in your computer.

I've reinstalled IE6.0 several times, and still upon reboot after installation, I'm still getting the same "cannot update from %1 to %2" line.....

Does anyone know how why my other computer updated it's files without trouble, but my laptop's files can't be updated?

Thanks,
    Double07

2. Double07

Double07 Thread Starter

A little update to my situation above....

I went to Start->Run->Msinfo32 on my laptop and also on my desktop computers.

I compared the version of the internet explorer files that were installed on the desktop to the version of the files installed on my laptop.
    Some of the files on my laptop were still IE5.5 files whereas the same files on my desktop were updated to IE6.0 files...

I still can't work out WHY SOME FILES ON MY DESKTOP UPDATED TO IE6.0 WHILE THE SAME FILES DID NOT GET UPDATED ON MY LAPTOP!!!

I copied these files from my desktop to my laptop and then my laptop's IE6.0 stopped giving me the errors I was getting before.
    The files were:

1) BROWSEUI.DLL in the "C:\windows\system" folder
    This file was the main file that needed updating.... once i copied this everything IE6.0 worked perfectly....
    however, since some other files were still "OLD" files on my laptop, I also copied them... they were:

2) BROWSELC.DLL in the "C:\windows\system" folder

3) JSCRIPT.DLL in the "C:\windows\system" folder

4) MSHTML.DLL in the "C:\windows\system" folder

5) SHDOCVW.DLL in the "C:\windows\system" folder

6) SHLWAPI.DLL in the "C:\windows\system" folder

7) WININET.DLL in the "C:\windows\system" folder

I just want to let everyone know that there are still Internet Explorer files ON BOTH MY COMPUTERS for that are still version 4.01, 5.01, 5.50 etc etc.... and my IE6.0 is working fine....

So NOW I want to know, why is it that when I install updates, and my computer restarts... I get an error message:
    "Windows could not update %1 %2
    %1 %2"

This is the reason why my IE6.0 did not update... because the old files could not be OVERWRITTEN on the restart.... WHY IS THAT???

I just installed the IE6.0 Critical update from the Internet... and ONCE AGAIN... after the reboot, I got the message:
    "Windows could not update %1 %2
    %1 %2"

So I don't think the critical update was installed properly either.....
    WHAT DO I DO TO SOLVE THIS "could not update" problem???

Please help...
    Thanks,
    Double07

3. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

one thing that you could of or can try is

goto start>run>msconfig>startup tab> and uncheck everything. (something might be preventing IE6 from updating files)

Then reboot to save config.

Then try installing IE6 and/or repair tool or revert to previous version.

You may even try switch to winfile or program manager as your shell if you can still do that with WinME like you can with win98 and then install IE6.

Also if you still have a registry backup that you can revert too that may help or use system file checker to go back to older version of ie files. or the WinME restore.

or you can try uninstalling IE6 and then install it again.

good luck

4. Double07

Double07 Thread Starter

Thanks for the above info...

I'm now CERTAIN that there is a program which is installed on my computer that is preventing WINDOWS from UPDATING ".DLL" files in the "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\" folder.

I would LIKE to switch off all the programs in Windows Startup like you are suggesting, but this will NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM the NEXT TIME I need to install an update.

I have to find out WHICH PROGRAM is preventing files getting updated.

I read the windows update FAQs and somewhere in there it says some Anti Virus software does not allow for updates to be installed correctly.

I am running Norton Anti Virus - so I shut it down... restarted, re-installed IE6 and the Critical update package.... and STILL I got the same error message.

Now I still have a feeling it is Norton Antivirus that is preventing updates (probably an OVERPROTECTIVE bug in the Norton software that prevents any changes to Windows system files).

Any ideas on how I can PINPOINT which particular STARTUP files in msconfig I should switch off (I don't want to switch off ALL the files everytime I install updates - it's too troublesome!!!).

Any more ideas would be very helpful.
    Cheers,
    Double07

5. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

did you install IE6 via the windows update?

You may want to download the full install, msconfig and uncheck everthing, and then restart, ctrl-alt-del and end task on everything but explorer and then run the IE6 setup from the full install folder. Also disable all norton functions inside the norton options first, then disable all norton's functions via msconfig.

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

FRom Microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q283/0/69.ASP

SYMPTOMS
    After you install a new program or update an existing program and then restart your computer, your computer may stop responding (hang), and you may receive the following error message:

Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 %1: %2
    Your computer may or may not continue to start after this error message.

CAUSE
    This issue can occur if the Wininit.ini file is not processed correctly.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, rename the Wininit.ini file:

Click Start, point to Search, and then click Files or Folders.

In the Named box, type wininit.ini.

In the Look in box, click Local Hard Drives.

Click Search Now.

Right-click the Wininit.ini file in the list of found items, and then click Rename.

Type Wininit.old, and then press ENTER.

Close the Search Results window.

Restart your computer.

Reinstall your program or update.

NOTE: If you receive this error message after you run the Live Update feature of Norton System Works 2000, please see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
    Q290664 Norton System Works 2000 Is Not Compatible with Windows Millennium Edition
    The third-party products discussed in this article are manufactured by vendors independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.

MORE INFORMATION
    The Wininit.ini file contains destination paths and file names for .dll files that are renamed and copied during a program installation or update. This method is used because some files cannot be copied if the file already exists in memory. The Wininit.ini file is processed by Wininit.exe when you restart the computer. If the Wininit.ini file contains incorrect information or the renamed files have been deleted or moved, problems may occur during the restart.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice