1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error installing IKernel.exe when installing webcam driver

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JMT74, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JMT74

JMT74 Thread Starter

Yeah, I have a friend who just replaced her hard drive. She had a friend come over and he installed an XP cd he got from the university he works at. Anyway I guess he installed all the drivers and updates onto the computer. However when she tried to install her webcam driver it comes up with an error message saying error installing IKernel.exe. She can't get it past that error to install the driver. So I did some research on the net. Came across a page that said to delete the C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\engine. However when I showed her how to get to that InstallShield folder there wasn't one to be found. I found that very interesting. Why would XP have installed that with the cd the dude used? Weird. Anyway I heard her download and install an InstallShield version that I am not sure if it is the right version. Anyway it is on there. I had her try the webcam driver again. Still same error. I am guessing there is no IKernel.exe on her computer. Should I have her download the IkernelUpdate.exe that is also on that page? If not what else can I have her try? She doesn't have a Windows XP to extract files from. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/805803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice