1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error installing Photoshop 6 on Me

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jcom, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcom

jcom Thread Starter

After I copied to HD named folder "Photoshop", clicked on "Setup" Icon; I got error message:

1. On Windows Me: "Setup is unable to decompress and copy all of the program files needed to proceed with the installation. Error 112"

2. On Windows 98(2): "cannot find 'Setup.Dll' for installation"

Need any help?

jcom:(

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jcom
    Welcome to TSG!
    Normally when you receive the message unable to decompress..... there is a problem with a file or space allocated to program set-up. Here is a MSKB article explaining the problem.

As far as the error "cannot find 'Setup.Dll' for installation".....
    Is this disk you have a complete install CD? If you do a search on the CD do you find Setup.dll. Your search will have to be using the "Containing Text" Window in search since the setup.dll file maybe in a compressed CAB file.

Have you tried installing directly from CD vs Hard Drive?

Dave

3. jcom

jcom Thread Starter

I have tried deleting as you have advised, did not work, same error message on ME.
    I have too many Sprite photos about 30gig which I am going to save on removable CD and Fragment HD and reboot ME and try to copy PhotoShop 6 on HD folder name "PhotoShop".
    It will take me whole day.

The Windows 98(2nd) the error "Setup.DLL" cannot be found when I clicked on the PhotoShop icon(look like MY Computer).
    So I clicked SEARCH on START, typed top space "Photoshop 6"
    bottom file," SETUP:DLL" search on HD(C:) there is none; so I inserted Windows 98(2) have searched and founded in folder Win98\Cab\win98_63; I tried to load into C:,into Windows\System 32; and Windows\System--no luck, after I again clicked on the PhotoShop Icon "SetUp"; same massage.

I am going to Win Me, first, and save all the photos, and fragment HD and reboot Me, and copy PhotoShop 6 into new folder name: Photoshop.

I'll get to you what happened in 12hrs from now.

see you, Davey7549

Mean while thanks

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you are trying to copy the Photoshop program from one computer to another, you can't do that.

The program must be "installed" from the original CD. It writes special system files and registry keys as its installed. These vary from system to system and generally cant just be "copied"

However I may have misinterpreted your problem.....

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jcom
    The Setup.dll Photoshop is probably looking for should be on the Photoshop Install CD. Usually when a special associated setup.dll is used in conjunction with an application setup.exe it carries letters in front of the setup or even an underscore. Example for Internet Explorer it will be IEsetup.dll. Doing so is not a hard rule so Photoshop may just use Setup.dll or for 98 it may use the one available with 98. You said you located one on the Win98 Install CD number two. Did you use the SFC extract function from the run line to extract it to the C:\Windows\System folder?

Kiwi is also correct that you cannot just copy the app from one computer to another, it must be installed.

Dave

6. jcom

jcom Thread Starter

I did not installed from one computer to an another; I copied, once in CD RW Drive, to HD, folder named "PhotoShop"; then I opened the folder in which I copied, clicked on the blue computer look like, Icon,"Setup". Once I did that I got an error message.

I am going to take the HD to computer shop and have them install it.

Thank you for all your help.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

But where did you copy it from?
    If you copied off a computer it was correctly installed on, its not going to work as mentioned above.

The only way you can install it on a computer is from an original Photoshop CD with all the install files on it.

Also, when you transfer data via a CD, the files are usually set as "read only". That will stop things behaving as you expect as well.

8. jcom

jcom Thread Starter

I copied from the original Adobe PhotoShop 6 CD which I purchased(Retail Version) new, unregistered, onto new folder named: "PhotoShop" in HD([C:].
    On this [C:] Multimedia Files;My Documents;PhotoShop;Program Files; and Windows...etc. This is how my HD look.
    After copied, I opened [C]:/PhotoShop/Setup.

After I clicked the Setup icon, same error.

I am going to take it to computer shop, let them figure it out.

bye..

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice