1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error installing windows 8.1 on old VAIO laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DanielMarcovecchio, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielMarcovecchio

DanielMarcovecchio Thread Starter

Hi,

Recently I have been trying to fix a five-year-old sony vaio laptop of mine. As it was not booting correctly, I loaded up DBAN on a usb and stuck it in. DBAN did its job but i think it may have done it too well as it seems to have removed the vaio UEFI however im not sure. I installed an iso of windows 8.1 using rufus onto a usb and put it in. The vaio does not seem to register the usb / load the installer. I definitely know the USB / iso is working because i can use the installer on my desktop. I have tried switching the SSD's with another laptop and tried again however with no success. I hope somebody has an answer to this.

Thanks in advance!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi, and welcome to TSG.

Are you still able to boot the laptop from the DBAN USB drive? If so, does the USB drive with OS installer have the same formatting (NTFS, FAT, FAT32, exFAT) as the DBAN USB drive? If not, have you confirmed your laptop can boot from a USB drive with that formatting?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!