Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Error loading Explorer.exe - reinstall Windows

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  ~Candy~ 
#1 ·
I get "Error loading Explorer.exe. You must reinstall Windows" when I start up my laptop, which has Windows ME (same message starting in Safe Mode).

I was able to start it using the startup disk. Ran scandisk/all/surface and found no problems or errors.

Then I tried reinstall Windows ME using the CD that came with the laptop. The system goes thru the ScanDisk process (no errors found), then it opens up the Windows Millennium Edition Setup. I follow the steps for setup, but then it tells me "NOT ENOUGH DISK SPACE" it's available to install Windows. I need to free more disk space by removing some programs, but I can not access the Control Panel.

HOW DO I DELETE PROGRAMS/FILES TO FREE DISK SPACE USING DOS (after I starting the computer using the startup disk)?!?

***UPDATE***

Went thru www.microsoft.com support and followed these directions (see below) and nothing has changed (still getting same error loading Explorer.exe message):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299313

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to start Windows, you may receive the following error message:
Error loading Explorer.exe.

You must reinstall Windows.
When you click OK, a black screen appears and you are unable to start Windows.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the Explorer.exe Windows system file is missing or corrupted.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, replace the Explorer.exe file with a new copy from your Windows CD-ROM (or other installation media). To do this, use one of the following methods, as appropriate to your version of Windows.

Windows Millennium Edition (Me)
1. Restart the computer by using a Windows Me startup disk.For additional information about creating a Windows Me startup disk, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
271823 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271823/EN-US/) How to Create a Windows Me Startup Disk Manually
2. In the Microsoft Windows Me startup dialog box that appears, type 2, and then press ENTER.
3. Record the drive letter assigned to your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
4. Type Ext, and then press ENTER.

The Microsoft Extract Command Line Helper starts.
5. At the Please enter the path to the Windows CAB files (a:): message, type drive:\win9x (where drive is the drive letter that you recorded in step 3), and then press ENTER. For example, type E:\win9x, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: The CAB files may also be stored in the following location:
C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL
6. At the Please enter the name(s) of the file(s) you want to extract: message, type Explorer.exe, and then press ENTER.
7. At the Please enter the path to extract to ('Enter' for current directory): message, type C:\Windows, and then press ENTER.
8. At the Is this okay? (y/n) message, type y, and then press ENTER.

The file is extracted to the specified directory.
9. Remove the Windows Me startup disk, and then restart the computer.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, AcaCandy. I did follow Microsoft directions (as I listed on my "udate" comment... I looked at all of Microsoft "tips" on the subject), but nothing changed. I still get the same error message about reinstalling Windows when I try to start up the computer. The only thing I can think of is if I can delete some files and/or programs using MS-DOS (the only thing I can use with the startup disk), then I would have enough disk space to reinstall Windows ME using the CD that was included with the laptop.

CAN ANYONE THERE TELL ME HOW TO VIEW AND DELETE FILES/PROGRAMS USING MS-DOS????

#4 ·
Have you tried to boot to a command prompt, using the ME boot disk and see if scanreg/restore will fix anything?

And that is the way you get to dos to delete files too.....just be careful what you delete.

Once you find a file, or a folder, you type either del filename and hit enter, or if it's a folder, you can type del *.*

Just don't do that from C: or Windows directory :eek:

#5 ·
With the ME boot disk I was able to ran scanreg/restore and scandisk/all/surface, but even though no errors were found and had it restored to a much previous date, I still get the same error message when restarting the computer. I need reinstall Windows but I first need to delete some files/programs to make room on the disk.

What command do I use on dos to first view what files/folders/programs are on the computer, and then what command do I use to delete them? I know that there are a bunch of folders/files of digital pictures I can delete to make room. Also a couple of programs I can delete and then reinstall them once the system is up and running and I have a chance to clean up the disk.

I just don't know what commands to use on dos to first view what is on the computer, and then the commands to use to delete the ones I can... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.