error loading explorer.exe

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tmb7560

First of all I have a HP pavillion and run Windows ME

When I start my computer, it will start to come up and then I will receive a box

error loading explorer.exe
must reinstall windows
ok

when you hit the ok it automatically shuts down the computer.

I have tried starting in safe mode and the same thing happens

I tried using the recovery CD supplied from HP and it will start and then I will get a warning box that tells me to remove the CD and click ok and then the computer shuts down.

Help please!

If you don't have one download a bootdisk from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Save it to your hard drive. ( note the file name and location)

Put a clean floppy in the floppy drive and then locate and click on the downloaded file. ( It will self-extract to your floppy and create your boot disk.

Put the bootdisk into the drive of the ME machine and switch on.

At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command, and then press ENTER. Where windows is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER. (space after scanreg)

Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER. NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.

When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

Tmb7560

I have a "basic rescue boot" and an "emergency disk (on 3 floppy disks)" is that what you mean by a bootdisk.

The only problem that I have with downloading one from the internet and putting it on a floppy is that the only computer that I have access to is my sons laptop that does not have a floppy. Can the same thing be done with his flash drive?

Thanks

Tmb7560

I have a few questions about the reply to my previous post about
error loading explorer.exe must reunstall windows

the rescue disk you talk about is this the same as my norton system works basic rescue disk. The only computer that I have access to is my son's laptop that does not have a floppy disk. Can it be done on CD or flash drive to download a rescue disk from the internet?

Thanks

I merged you new thread with your original thread. Make all posts regarding this matter in this thread. Don't start new threads for the same problem

Hi,

Your "Basic Rescue Boot" disk should do. You only need to get to a command prompt. Give it a try.

Tmb7560

hello we haved tried very many things to try and reboot our computer. The thing is.....none of it has worked. we've tried different ways of editing the system and scanreg /restore. we have also tried our windows boot cd and floppy. also we have tried our norton emergency boot. None of these things have worked, is there any other advice?

P.S. this is Tmb7560's very intelligent and obstinate son.:D

Tmb7560

We have already tried the system restore from a command prompt when you restart the computer it does not come up to the program manager, instead of saying "error loading explorer.exe must reinstall windows" it now says "error loading progman.exe must reinstall windows" Any more suggestions or are we going to have to break down and fork out loads of cash to someone?!

Well you have more serious problems then.

But since this is an HP, don't you have a "recovery" CD or a recovery partition on the hard drive?

Have you checked their support site under your model for recovery options?

You may lose what is on there, but you may have no other choice.

One option is to try to run an internal reinstall

You may have cabinet files and "setup.exe" in one of these two locations.

c:\windows\options\install

or

c:\windows\options\cabs

If you do, and run from a command promp, for example:

c:\windows\options\install\setup

setup will begin

BUT you may need your ProductKey; I'm not sure where HP gives you this -- but you might be able to recover it by running this command from a command prompt:

C:\Windows\Command\Find /I "ProductKey" C:\Windows\System.dat

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online