1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error loading operating system on xp desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tatemze, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tatemze

tatemze Thread Starter

My dads got a compaq computer thats running xp, its had a few problems lately with freezing up and not shutting down properly, so on advise from a friend we downloaded and ran ccleaner ad spybot s&d
    Today when turning it on its coming on with the compaq logo screen then going to a black screen thats says
    'error loading operating system'
    cant seem to do anything else
    we have a disc that says windows xp home edition, but dont know how I would use properly, how it would effect the computer ie, loosing any files he needs
    quite a noob so would need very clear step by step instructions to do stuff. I wouldnt know how to access the system info from here.
    really appreciate any help
    Thanks

2. fel1x

fel1x

firstly hit f8 repeatedly on start up to access safe mode a black screen with options on it go to last good config re boot
    if that does not work
    f8 again to get to safe mode go to start in safe mode if that works you will get to your desktop but in basic format from there it will be worth trying system restore start all programmes accessories system restore restore to earlier time re boot

the repair installation should not wipe files only xp files system files

if all the above fails
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

you will need to ensure your bios is set to boot from disc (cd drive) hit delete button on start up enter bios change order of boot to 1 cdrom 2 hard disc

3. tatemze

tatemze Thread Starter

if we press f8 it takes us it a screen that says something about a fault on the keyboard, but have changed the keyboard to a spare one and we still get the same message. from that screen we have three options at the bottom of the page
    F1 to boot, f10 setup, and an f12 option network service boot
    can enter the f10, compaq setup utility if thats anything helpful. is that how i would boot from disk?
    cant load safe mode due to the keyboard problem it seems to think we have

4. tatemze

tatemze Thread Starter

oh an when we opened the boot order box, hard drive was the fourth option
    cd drive was first
    havnt changed this, but we changed it so the hard drive was first to see if that did anything and it still seems the same

5. fel1x

fel1x

compaq setup utility ; every manufacturer is different there may be an option there to reinstall or repair some are called non destructive repair option if you have that then thats what you need

try booting up with no keyboard connected at all to see how far it will go and try another usb connection

6. tatemze

tatemze Thread Starter

right now I have a problem, I have tried booting from disk and re-installing windows xp but got to a point where its asking for a product key, and wev no idea where the certificate with it on is. obv i know there are programs you can run to find it, but wer in the process of installing with the prompt to put the key in on the screen, so cant run such program. what can i do?

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    the product key should be on a COA sticker either underneath if its on a laptop or on the tower if its on a desktop.the program u are referring to is magic jelly bean keyfinder.if u cant find the COA sticker anywhere or if its been removed u might have to buy another copy of windows xp either home or pro whichever the computer came with.hope this helps u.

8. tatemze

tatemze Thread Starter

so im stuck again, iv re-installed windows xp, and everything seemed fine until i restarted, now in comes up with a black screen with 1999-master boot record has changed. iv no idea what that means, or what to do.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice