1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"error loading operating system"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rafa_rocks123, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rafa_rocks123

rafa_rocks123 Thread Starter

A while back my friend dropped his laptop,(HP compaq mini cq10-405dx), and it stopped working. I told him the hard drive must have gotten messed up so we went to the store and i helped him pick out a new one. Now the problem I have is that when I start up the laptop I get a black screen saying,"error loading operating system", and since it's a mini I made an external CD drive so I can try to put windows 7 on it but I get the same error message. I also made sure to check the BIOS to make the external CD Drive boot up first. I have no idea what to do now to get it to work.

I would really apreciate any help anybody can give me

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO SUE

the fact that it was dropped its very possible that more than the hard drive got damaged.does this computer use a full size hard drive or a compact one?and did you put in the correct one and in the correct way meaning does it take a SATA or IDE hard drive.all laptops are fragile but mini ones are even more so because of their size.every time ive had to buy hard drives i have to go to a computer place that sells them because anywhere else they have to be ordered and not just bought off the shelf.

3. rafa_rocks123

rafa_rocks123 Thread Starter

thank you for you're reply, i found a way to fix it though. i bought a SATA to USB cable and hooked up the hard drive to my laptop and pasted windows 7 files on it and when i put the hard drive back on the mini and turned it on it started installing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011640