1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error loading operating system

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by perspicuus, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perspicuus

perspicuus Thread Starter

So, yesterday, I acquired an old desktop computer from a friend. My plans are to install Ubuntu Server on it. He knew something was wrong with it, but he didn't know what. I was able to start it up right away, and it worked fine. I hooked up a second hard drive to it, and it still worked fine. Then, I removed and replaced the ram. When I turned the computer back on, it said "Error loading operating system." I checked all the connections, and everything appears to be fine. I went ahead and tried booting from the Ubuntu Server 11.10 cd. I get to the initial screen, select "install," and then it just goes to a blank, black screen. It doesn't even have the cursor. I then tried to install Ubuntu Desktop 11.10, but whether I try to install or boot from live cd, it just spits out a bunch of timeout errors, then gets stuck on a screen with the words "Ubuntu 11.10" and a processing bar. Both hard drives have windows 2000 OS installed. Help anyone?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My experience makes me suspect incompatibility with the graphics card. Ubuntu 11.04 did not play nice with my 7 year old Dell laptop (see Computer specs) so I quickly reverted to 10.10. I can boot the 11.10 Live CD but it leaves me with no GUI. I suggest you try Ubuntu 10.10 or Linux Mint 11.

3. perspicuus

perspicuus Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I gave it a try with various older versions, None of them have worked for me. The latest I tried was 8.10. It got to the boot screen. When I tried booting from LiveCd, it said error booting from cd. Then I tried installing it. It spit out just about every error code imaginable, and then went to BusyBox. I'm beginning to think it might be the optical drive because sometimes it fails to boot period from the cd and I have to hit F1 to reboot. That still doesn't explain why when I try to boot from the hard drive (Windows 2000) it comes up with the error message, "Error loading operating system"

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I should have also mentioned memory. I think Ubuntu needs at least 374 MB; I've never installed it in less than 512 MB.

In your initial post you said the Windows OS booted until you replaced the memory. Maybe a problem with that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice