1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error loading operating system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by adramire, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adramire

adramire Thread Starter

Hello I have a Sony VAIO VGN-A250 notebook running Win/XP Home. When I boot it up it goes to "Error loading operating system" I know the HD is detected because I checked the BIOS and it lists it as the 1 boot device.

If I use the recovery disks will I lose all the data on the HD? Will I have to reinstall Windows?

I don't have the recovery disks that came with the notebook but have the Win/XP disk for my Dell desktop, can I use that disk?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you use your laptop recovery CD's you will lose the lot in most cases as it reinstalls Windows and leaves the laptop as it left the factory. But you don't have them?

If you tried to use your Dell CD it will fail as the Dell CD will have all the Dell specific device drivers, and will likely be BIOS code locked to the Dell, so it will either refuse to even install (likely) or if it did install the laptop would be borked as all device drivers would have the wrong code force fed and fail. All data would also be lost.

About now you should be considering dropping the HDD out of the laptop and attaching to an XP desktop via an adapter (2.5 to 3.5 IDE) or in an external USB case, to recover your data.

Data that only exists only on a HDD is data that you don't care about losing, as file systems or hard drives can corrupt or fail at any time with no warning. And they do.

You may have to get your Sony CD's or buy another copy of XP.

3. adramire

adramire Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I have ordered the Sony CD's, will FIXBOOT or FIXMBR fix the boot up problem without erasing data? Does the 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapter copy the whole OS to desktop or just files?

Thanks for the help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!