1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error loading operating system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by snmkelley, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snmkelley

snmkelley Thread Starter

:confused: I just got my new windows 2000 laptop at work. I was poking around in it to see what new stuff was on it, and decided to backup the hard drive...
    Here's my problem.
    1) I don't know what the program was that I was using. It said Do you want to take a snapshot of your hard drive?
    I clicked yes.
    2) It then said that it would reboot in DOS and continue taking a snapshot of my harddrive, and that it may take 2 hours to complete.
    Again, I clicked OK.
    3) It shut down and tried to reboot (in DOS, I guess) but I got an "error loading operating system" instead.
    4) I don't have an ERD made yet.
    5) I tried pressing f8 to go to the last known good config, but (of course) that only works with an OS.
    6) I have no clue what to do next.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Welcome aboard, I see this is your first posting.

It sounds like you are able to recover and access Windows 2000, but cannot get the backup to work. Is that your problem? It sounds like a drive image utility which can be used for backup was installed but it is broken or damaged. Windows 2000 does not come with one. The two most popular ones are Norton Ghost and PowerQuest DriveImage. To fix the problem you would need to reinstall the utility that was installed.

3. snmkelley

snmkelley Thread Starter

No, I can't access Windows at all. It won't boot.
    It goes through POST and then says,
    "Error loading operating system"
    ...and that's it. It won't do anything else. My tech support guy from work says I need to reimage the drive.
    Thanks for responding though,
    Steve

4. Dan O

Dan O

If you have an image you can install that would be the best method of fixing it. Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!