error loading operating system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aqol45

Hi Guys
Got the blue screen of death after this recent MS update & therefore unable to login - SAFE MODE neither
Trying to install recovery console using Recovery CD that came with PC
Went into boot menu & booted from CD - PC went striaght into SET UP mode (no option to get into recovery mode??!!)& started to install files,....just when it said formatting HD I quickly turned off
Turned PC on again to try again.
How when it boots i get 'error loading operating system' !!!
Am i buggered & will hI ave to reinstall XP ?
Please tell me there is way out else my wife will be stringing my bits up to lampost for losing all her data ?
Yours desperatley
Andre

You realize that the blue screen indicates that your system is most likely infected with a rootkit, right? That is why your update failed (probably).

It is hard to say what has happened to your system now. Some or all of what was there before may already be gone. Was there any option when you started that CD to choose between a destructive and non-destructive recovery?

When it mentioned formatting, was it asking a question, or did it say that it had started?

It is probably still possible to recover most of the files on the drive, and it may even be possible to recover the installation, though that is less likely.

But first, we need to find out exactly what we have and what has been done. So this is going to involve booting from a CD, and possibly 2 of them if the first one doesn't do everything we want.

So, this could be an extended process. Maybe that doesn't matter to you if you don't sleep well on the couch, anyway.

Do you have a blank CD and a machine with a CD-burner on it?

It sounds like the CD was a system recovery CD. And if it started the format and you shut the computer off in the process you’ll not be able to boot the system. Do you another computer there?

aqol45

I have d/l KNOPPIX & burnt on to CD using another laptop
Got into boot menu on busted PC & pointed it towards cd rom but i stll get ERROR LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM TO COME UP. :banghead:
The recovery CD seems to work ok so are confused as to why the KNOPPIX cd wont work ?
Any ideas

What is your purpose in loading Knoppix? Are you just recovering files at this point?

It does not sound like the CD/DVD is booting. You are still booting to the hard drive. Can you get a boot menu with device options?

How did you prepare the Knoppix CD? Are you sure it has a boot sector? Do you see files and folders on the CD when you explore it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online