1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Mapping Network Drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by patrickkonsor, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patrickkonsor

patrickkonsor Thread Starter

Hello all, I'm using Windows Vista Business and I'm having trouble mapping a network drive. When I attempt to connect a dialog box appears prompting me to select a certificate to use; I have to choose a certificate and the only certificate listed is my own certificate for encrypting the file system. When I select this the dialog pops up again; this happens 3 times total. Then I get the following error..
    The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could solve this issue or at least how I could find some more info about the error; I tried looking at the logs in the Event Viewer, but there wasn't any helpful information.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Its a pretty cryptic error eh? The only suggestion I would have is to strip out any and all security and higher level network protocol layers and see if it works like that and then layer the network and security layers back in one by one, testing connection and useability each time.

3. patrickkonsor

I tried disabling my firewall, but that didn't have any effect.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Is the drive you're trying to map an encrypted volume? Have you succeeded or tried an unencrypted volume If so? You might need to map an unencrypted shell and then decrypt a nested volume maybe? Maybe an MVP will happen along and explain all clearly, since I'm also very interested in this and would like the know some of the answers before I blunder in.

5. patrickkonsor

I'm trying to connect to the drive via HTTPS and it very well may be encrypted; it's a network drive at my university, I don't know how to tell if it's encrypted without actually connecting to it.

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I was assuming you were acting as your own administrator. Since you don't control the other end, you need the instructions for the approved method for connecting from the University, mapping may not even be allowed.

7. patrickkonsor

Mapping is certainly allowed, and instructions are provided to do so; it just doesn't work for me. I'm also in contact with the university about fixing it, I was just wondering if there was anything I could do from my end to resolve it, as they're pretty slow at responding.

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

The university side is pretty much in control, the only suggestion I would have is try to find someone who is connected via mapping and compare setups.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!