1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error message: a device attached to the system is not functioning

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zwilson76, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zwilson76

zwilson76 Thread Starter

Every time I try to load certain programs, i get the error message: a device attached to the system is not functioning'. I tried ressetting back to my last restore point but to no avail. I'm seriously thinking about just restoring the whole computer but i dont want to lose the programs that i cant replace.
    Any help you give me would be appreciated.

2. rude

rude

It would help if you could give us your System info as well as more specific info about the error message.With vague info like you have given us,noone can help you.

Can you copy and paste the error message or take a screenshot and post it here?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Is there any reference to any file name with the message? Perhaps in the title box of the pop-up of the message?

This error can occur when a file has become corrupt, or more commonly when a system file or driver file has been replaced with an incompatable version, usually as a result of installing a driver or software.

Only by pinning down the cause can you hope to identify which one of hundreds it could be.

4. clarke123

clarke123

Did you just install any new software prior to the problem?

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you tried looking in devicemanager and seeing if everythings OK there.i dont know the OS you have so can be specfic.
    but >
    got to control panel
    then >system
    here it depends on OS
    win2k XP -
    hardware tab
    device manager

on 98 - i thinkit had a tab called device manager but cant remember

have a look and see if any devices have a yellow triangle with a ? or ! against them - that would tell you the device.

otherwise please supply more info - make/model of PC - OS - and what programs you run when it happens - the more info the more help we can give

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/236521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice