1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error message "a newer version of MP Drivers is already installed". RUBBISH!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GrahamEverest, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GrahamEverest

GrahamEverest Thread Starter

I have been trying for 2 weeks to install a Canon Pixma MX87) on my desktop under Windows XP Home Edition. Despite various forum postings and advice, I have been unable to do anything without getting the above error message. Assuming I have corrupted the Registry, I have restored all changes made by my Registry Editor, and (via Safe Mode) restored the system to a date in September, long before I had tried to install the printer or delete any older Canon programs. All these Canon programs and other entries in Canon Folders (e.g. in Downloads) have all been uninstalled using Revo, with traces also being removed by Revo at the Advanced level. But I still get the message "A newer version of MP Drivers is already installed"!
    Is there any last chance of sorting this, or will I have to erase the hard drive and do a complete clean re-installation? I've spent DAYS on this and am getting really frustrated with it!

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

XP may be installing a default driver that is newer
    than the one on the CD.
    Plug in the camera.
    Look in "my computer" to see if the camera shows up as a drive.
    Check the canon website for software updates,if you need the software.
    You may be able to browse the folders on the CD and run the
    different setup programs for the software individually.

3. GrahamEverest

GrahamEverest Thread Starter

It's not a camera - it's a printer! It's also a new model, so there are no default drivers on XP, and I've tried the drivers and setup from the website countless times, but I always get the same message. And Canon can't help either!

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Oops,sorry about that.
    Are you trying to install the software with the printer turned on and
    plugged in to the usb?
    Usually you have to have the printer usb cable unplugged until
    the software installer asks for it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/963466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice